TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, finally got around to attempt to replace the thermostat.

Undid the bolts with a lot of trouble, took everything out, scraped off as much of the old gasket as I could. Put the new thermostat in (oem Ford), followed by a new Ford gasket, tightened the bolts up with even more trouble, and started the car. Resulting in coolant pouring out of the housing... CRAP!

Where did I go wrong? As I see it, chances are that I didn't seat the thermostat properly in the housing, I don't see what else could cause so much coolant to pour out.

One of the biggest problems I had was getting the gasket lined up with the bolt holes and getting everything screwed in, which is why I think the problem above happened

Anyone have any tips for how to do this before I screw things up even more?

·
Motorboatin' SOB, Headlight Cleaning Guru
6,910 Posts
well if coolant is leaking out of the housing, good chance the gasket isnt seated right. i would redo it all. make sure the tstat is still good. get a gasket that has an adhesive backing for the housing. this way the gasket wont shift around when you reinstall the housing. use new rtv sealant. then install everything back together. make sure everything sits right. hope this helps.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
nope, didn't use RTV. Guess that's where I screwed up.

I thought that since the gasket was rubber I didn't need it

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Well if it's rubber, I would guess the problem is somewhere else. I'm actually not the best person to ask since I'm not even sure what kind of gaske the 3.8 uses any more... Does it hug the thermostat? I was suggesting RTV for the paper-type gaskets.

PJ

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nope, doesn't hug the thermostat. Simply a sheet with three holes in it.

Might even be paper, at this point I have no clue. Has a rubbery feel to it though

Guess I'll just try some rtv and hope that it works. Funny cause I had the RTV out and was deciding whether or not to put it in

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, took everything back apart and it was as I thought. The t-stat wasn't seated properly. Put it back together with some RTV and she's running without a leak now.

only problem is that there is still the same problem as before (see new thread)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts