TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok trying to figure out some more issues. I have no oil pressure according to my gauge. So untill I get that figured out i cant do much of anything.

What does the oil pressue switch look like and where is it exactly? Im having a hard time getting by the cooling system plumbing to even get a look.

Also I have an extra wire up near the passenger side coolant temp sensor. This is a single wire round connector. I was looking around on my sohc and cant even find where it came from originally.

there are also 2 units with vacuum lines on them I dont see any connectors for and i no longer have access to any vacuum diagrams for the mark so I just cant figure out what they're for.

Ill try to get pictures, i have to go borrow a camera

·
Chapter Director Coordinator
6,253 Posts
you talkin about the oil pressure sending unit on the motor? just below the oil filter, small silver ( or black depending how old ) disc that screws on.. uses the small red, single wire connector, like the one near the pass side coolant temp sensor..

that one would go to the top of the fuel rail i believe on one of the studs.. been a while

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
oil connector is in place and clean. Im wondering if is possible the polarity on the sending unit is reversed on the mark or something. when i turn the car to ON, gauge goes to the L mark. as soon as i start up, it drops like a rock. The way its running right now Im having trouble believing i dont have oil pressure.

Just went through a wiring diagram, that loose single connection wire up top can only be a power ground. It does not fit on the studs on a dohc tho. So anyone else that finds this, you'll have to put a bullet connector in it and wire it down somewhere else, or just extend it if you can find a small stud somewhere.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Lol, damn that oil gauge.:D There are two types of oil pressure switches, one normally open and the other normally closed. If you have a low oil pressure warning light, you use the normally closed one where the circuit is closed to ground without pressure, illuminating the light, if you have a pressure gauge then you use the normally open one where the circuit is open until you have pressure. You apparently have the wrong switch, so you could use your old one or better yet spend $6 for a new one.

Actually, a gauge should have a sending unit, but Ford decided to be cheap and just use a pressure switch and a resistor on the back of the cluster. :rolleyes: If you want the gauge to work like it should go to your favorite parts store and get a sending unit for an 87 Mustang 302, bypass the gauge resistor, and you'll have a real gauge. There is a tech article on this somewhere in the tech section with details and pics. I did this mod and it worked well, but eventually I had enough of the stock cluster, lol.

Good Luck

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
if u want get urself a cheap gauge from advance auto. there on sale for like 9 bucks... its a mech gauge but u can just set it up for a temp

1 - 5 of 5 Posts