TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1994 ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1994 ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8 upgraded tranny with the Jerry's mod, was wondering I've read different things about it. What would be better, keep overdrive on or keep it off?

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,498 Posts
The way I look at it, it's totally up to you. The tranny shifts from 3rd to O/D around 35 mph so if you're driving under that speed you can leave it off. But driving in that speed range it can shift up and down and some people don't care for it. It doesn't "bother" me and half the time I don't pay much attention to it. Going any faster then put the O/D on.

Joe

·
Registered
1994 ford thunderbird lx 4.6 v8
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The way I look at it, it's totally up to you. The tranny shifts from 3rd to O/D around 35 mph so if you're driving under that speed you can leave it off. But driving in that speed range it can shift up and down and some people don't care for it. It doesn't "bother" me and half the time I don't pay much attention to it. Going any faster then put the O/D on.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,938 Posts
The 94 trans is relatively fragile. It takes longer to shift into and out of 4th gear, and doing a 3-2 at high throttle positions stresses out the weak roller clutch - going from 4th to 2nd is about the worst thing you can do to it -- even with the J-mod. If you're "stuck" in traffic going 32-35 MPH and the trans is constantly going from 3rd to 4th, from 4th to 3rd - just leave OD off.

If you're cruising and not likely to need to "hit the gas" for any reason, leave it off as well. If you're thinking about passing or are getting ready to merge, leave it off until you're at a steady cruising speed.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
I leave it on 99% of the time, I can keep OD maintained at 35 MPH with the 97. Some old school people drive all over town with OD off, at like 45-50 MPH. To me the car never feels quite right at 45-50 until it hits OD, plus you burn a lot of extra gas with the RPM at 1800 VS 1200.

Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts