TCCoA Forums banner

Need ideas please

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  XR7-4.6 
#1 ·
I have a 1994 Ford Thunderbird lx was thinking about getting something done this weekend to the muffles and all that good stuff but I’m not to sure on what to get or what setup to go with was wondering if you guys could help me out on some good ideas

thank you in advance

#2 ·
Trubenz dual exhausts cat-back; for the muffler, since we don't know what you like, I'd start with clamping on some cheap glass packs and work up from there, so that you can quit when you like it.

DON'T FORGET! Turn down just PAST the rear bumper, not in front of it! If in front, it'll drone on the highway due to the rear end being a resonator of sorts.

RwP

Reactions: Trunk Monkey
#3 ·
It depends what you are going for. If all you want is sound, the stock exhaust system with the mufflers cut out and replaced with straight pipe will give you a nice sound, but not too loud. If you are looking for performance, you’ll want to replace the entire exhaust system. In that case, the mandrel bent kit from mandrelexhaustsystems.com is likely the easiest and cheapest way to accomplish that, and you would just have to add your choice of mufflers.

#9 ·
I've gota 2&1/8" mandrel bent version on lazarus, and the 2.5" set on the Tbird; the Tbird is twice as loud as the cougar.
I'm running magnaflow 3 chamber mufflers, and it sounds really good.

#10 ·
I'm a muscle car guy so I went with JBA shorty headers (did not care for the stock sound coming out of the manifolds so I don't care about porting them to be as good bent tubes) for that muscle car rumble (it was an immediate improvement) along with that dual exhaust kit that is common out there (like from SCP) even though whoever bent it did the passenger side wrong (it needs to be wider so that it doesn't hit the diff) and Flowmaster mufflers (those seem to be what most muscle car owners used back in the day). The results are really good, sounds great, not obnoxious at idle or cruising but great when I put my foot in it. I need to get those pipes redone so they are hanging tighter to the underside of the car, the stock pipes had a couple little bends in them to avoid hitting the rear control arms and the diff, but that costs money so it will be addressed later. My car sounds like a stock '69 or '70 small-block muscle car, exactly what I was shooting for.

#11 ·
Glad you like it, BUT stock Muscle cars all used cast iron manifolds, and I think turbo mufflers were the common upgrade back then(due to their freer flowing nature), where chambered style mufflers got popular later

I have the same exhaust I think, though I got it from TruBendz, not SCP, I got it to tuck but I had to sort of splay the pipes out which made a tighter than ideal fit around the gas tank head shield.

#12 ·
Not sure on the 94's but on my recently new to me 97 I discovered the horrible from the factory pinching of the exhaust pipe after the 3rd cat that goes under the passenger to driver crossmember when looking underneath the car before purchase (why is that little crossover there?). This roughly one foot crushed section of pipe is a bottleneck - I assume most have a non crushed section put in as there as a minimum, seems to be lots of room there and no need for the pinch/crushing of the exhaust pipe. I'm looking at doing that and then replacing the two rear mufflers with single chamber Flowmaster Super 10 knockoffs (Cherry Bomb Extremes). My car has no resonator as the 96 and 97's had it replaced with a stock section of pipe from the factory thankfully.

#15 ·
Be careful with those turbo mufflers. On Engine Masters, they lost between 20-40 HP (based on exhaust configuration) on a 500 HP engine with generic turbo mufflers. They made the most power with straight thru mufflers, though I can imagine those not sounding great on a V8. They didn't evaluate sound on their test.

Speaking of sound, I heard a newer V6 Camaro with exhaust on it, and it literally sounded like a fart! I have never heard a V6 that sounded good with an aftermarket muffler. Inline 6, yes, but V6, not a chance. It's one thing if you get a V6 cause that's all you can afford, but please don't put an exhaust on it, lol!

Al

Reactions: XR7-4.6 and Darin10
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.