TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, so i am driving along at about 80-85 mph down the highway and engine temp is fine. I get off highway and drive for about 2 miles at 30 mph and car starts to overheats, so i turn on heater and limp home .5 miles. A little Fluid coming out of fill tank. I buy and change tstat to 180 deg. after doing fluid change and fill.....ect I then drove 30 miles a little warm but it was fine, get of highway and same thing happened...overheats small amount of fluid spillin out...why????
Any help would be great!:confused:

·
Registered
324 Posts
jonlittle said:
Any help or sugestions would be great! I am really confused, could it be in the computer? Or the ect sensor?
Sounds like your electric fan is not coming on. Rad is cooling the rad fluid by ram
air. When you slow down you have less ram, but your fan should kick on when the
temp rises as you slow. Check the the condition of the plastic two wire connector
to your ECT, is it loose or corroded? The time that you stoped and saw the fluid
coming out , was the fan running? Try replacing the ECT its inexpensive.
The ECT your looking for is on the forward drivers side of the engine right next to
the alternator.....:thumbsup:

Chris...................:thumbsup:

·
Registered
324 Posts
jonlittle said:
Thanks for the sugestion;)
Another question, should i have changed to the 180* tstat with out a new chip?
:( Sorry, don't know what to say regarding that type of mod. From what I have
read on the boards that would apear to be what a lot of folks do when installing
a chip. Does the chip manufacture recomend a 180* tstat?

One further question, have you ever noticed your fan running?

Chris........................

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i confused you chris...i did not get a chip but did a 180* tstat...
Now that i think about it, in the 6 years that i have had the car i have never seen the fan spinning....engine on or off.

I think the problem started about a year ago when the car overheated on o long trip, it has never been the same engine temp wise, I can not run the AC for more than 10 min with out i getting hot. what do ya think about this?:confused:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Try the ECT buddy and get back to us, its the quickest and easist thing to
try first. Make sure the engine is cool when you change it :D
Even with a 180* tstat the fan should still kick on. Personally I'd stick with
the recommended tstat.

Chris..................

1 - 9 of 9 Posts