TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
As I posted a little while back my car was acting up when the outside temp got to around +30C (+85F). Got rid of the clogged cats, did a tune up; seafoam, filters (air/fuel), plugs. The wires,IAC, TPS, FPR, TFI and that are all new or newer. The car will run great at first but after a while when I come to a stop it will start to run rough, buck, sputter, and just die at times, hittin the gas does nothing, if I can get the rpms to about 2000 it gets power again and runs fine till I come to another stop. I cannot find any vac leaks, and the only code I get is 67 for the A/C.

edited for temperature unit clarification - GB

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Maybe a bad/weak fuel pump?

Jay

·
Registered
814 Posts
Fuel regulator? Is the A/C on when it does it? Could be a compressor locking up?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it regardless of whether the AC is on or not, the fuel reg is only about 10 months old. There is a buzzing coming from the tank area which Im assuming is the pump, is this a bad sign?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Good way to find vac leaks is with a can of carb clean. Short sperts in suspect areas and listen for a jump in idle. Or listen through a three foot piece of vacuum hose in suspect areas. The leaks sound is applified through the tube when held up to the ear.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All I can find is when I pull the throttle open quickly there is a squeak/hiss that comes from what seems to be the shaft for the TB.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blue LS said:
Does it regardless of whether the AC is on or not, the fuel reg is only about 10 months old. There is a buzzing coming from the tank area which Im assuming is the pump, is this a bad sign?
YUP, Verify your filter ain't plugged, that will make it louder then it should. Even if you replaced it you still could of got a bad batch or got the sludge from the bottom of the fuel tank. To test the regulator you could lightly pinch the soft line with vise grips. Should increase pressure if the problem is there. Take it for a ride and see if it does it. Could also be the sock in the tank has debri on it and the pump is having a hard time passing gas (pun intended) LOL

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Filter is brand new. the one I replaced today was still good, gas went right through it. Ill go and give the line pinch a try.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blue LS said:
All I can find is when I pull the throttle open quickly there is a squeak/hiss that comes from what seems to be the shaft for the TB.
Don't know if that is relevant?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blue LS said:
Filter is brand new. the one I replaced today was still good, gas went right through it. Ill go and give the line pinch a try.
From my experience. The pumps get noisy usually when there is a resticktion ahead of it. They usually don't get noisy when there gonna go out by themselves. The just quit. Also when there is a restriction it can over heat the pump and shut it down till it cools. That weakens the pump alot if you had a restriction before.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well if I pinch the line goin from the fuel rail to the regulator the car seems to run better.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blue LS said:
Well if I pinch the line goin from the fuel rail to the regulator the car seems to run better.
Do you think you pinched it all the way off? Next step would be to see how much pressure you do have. While its running. I think there needs to be at least thirty/thirtyfive pounds. Your gonna need a gauge with a hose that connects to your fuel rail pepcock.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, no it wasnt all the way, about half. Im gonna have to try to find a guage and check the pressure tomorrow or Monday after work. Hope she holds out tomorrow Ive got a 1.5 hour drive ahead of me lol.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Blue LS said:
OK, no it wasnt all the way, about half. Im gonna have to try to find a guage and check the pressure tomorrow or Monday after work. Hope she holds out tomorrow Ive got a 1.5 hour drive ahead of me lol.
Gauge would be the best if you have brittle lines. If it is the reg, just keep those vise grips near by, you may have to pinch it all the way to get where your going. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
After yesterday Im pretty sure its the pump overheating and shuttin off at times. Theres a wrecking yard nearby and with what these things cost new I think Im just gonna grab one there. Will any ford pump work or do I have to get one from an MN-12?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Preferred a MN12. They do vary some what from model to model and year to year.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thx for the help, guess Ill start searchin for a wrecked Bird/Cat and hope for the best lol

·
Registered
814 Posts
LOL your welcome. good luck.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK one last question, where is the fuel pump located on the tank. Due to a little lack of thinkin on my part I really cant drop the exhaust without destroying what I did to fix the problem with the cats. I think Im just gonna cut a hole in the floor above the pump and pull it out through there.

·
Registered
814 Posts
You might have a problem then. The pump is IN the tank. You have to drop it no matter what.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts