TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah the title says it all...I need all the info I can get about a 97 LX cruise control system. More specifically, where the control module is (if there is one), the locations of all other parts like relays and sensors and what would be really helpful is a WIRING DIAGRAM. Any info is appreciated because I don't have any manuals for my car but maybe I'll grab one soon...

What I'm trying to do is see if I can use the momentary functions of the ON and OFF buttons on the left side of the steering wheel to control a circuit for auto/manual operation of the torque converter clutch. I have a basic circuit worked out with a toggle switch, but I figured it would be better if the switches were mounted on the steering wheel. Then, to keep the cruise control system functional, I would install On/Off switch(es) somewhere else on the dash.

Thanks for any info, if I can make this work then I may write up a tech article in the WiP forum.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the wiring diagrams. Looks like the cruise control switches have a set of built-in resistors...but keep posting info...I might still be able to get this to work.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Thread is almost 6 years old! :eek: Pictures are probably long gone. :(

Joe
ROFL! That is what is called a "bump" right? or "ttt"? Hey, at least they are using the "search" feature. Good for you JasonWW!!!

Happy Holidays to you and yours!!!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes I would love to have updated pictures of where I can find the switches that commonly cause the cruise control to not work. I've been under my steering wheel for the last 3 hours and can't figure a damn thing that would have the switches on it

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
To get the cruise to work: there is a switch on the brake pedal that shuts off the cruise when you apply the brakes. IIRC, it is the one up higher with only two wires.

Bypass that switch. I used a snap lock connector to connect the two wires together w/o cutting or disconnecting anything. Apparently, applying the brake breaks the connection. You will be bypassing that so it is always connected.

I thought there would be a down side, like having to use the on/off button for everything, or the brakes don't turn it off, brake lights on all the time, etc. Everything functions normally! Doesn't make any sense, but it works.

This was RobertP's suggestion when our old 96 Cougar's cruise didn't work. I also did it to our '04 CVPI. Fixed both of them, and they work great.

Al

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,365 Posts
The brake on/off switch is a redundancy to the travel switch (which I seem to recall is a 97 only thing). If you hotwire the travel switch closed, the BOO switch will deactivate cruise with brake input.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,365 Posts
Yep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts