TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm getting the Vogtland springs from MagerThom, and I'm getting Koni Sport shocks/structs. I was wondering if there is anything else I should or need to replace? I am new to replacing shocks/structs, so any and all advice would be appreciated.

Thank you all :)

--John

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
If you don't have access to a wall mounted spring compressor, it is well worth the $20-40 to have a shop actually mount the springs on the new front shocks. I would recommend changing the upper spring isolator while you have them out, they are around $30. Make sure that when the spring is mounted, that proper alignment is maintained between the upper and lower mounts, if you have to twist it to get it in, then you wear out the lower bushing prematurely, and you'll have to replace your lower control arm. Start spraying all the bolts a couple days prior with PB Blaster, it'll break most of the crud loose, and make removal that much easier.

The rear is pretty straightforward and easy. I do it a little different than most, but it works good for me. Get the rear as high as possible. Take the shocks off, get the floor jack under the LCA. I disconnect the rear brake line from the fenderwell (you'll have to bleed the brakes when done), and disconnect the upper control arm from the spindle. Take the swaybar endlinks off, and let the jack down slowly. If you have ABS, you may want to unhook the wires, I don't have ABS, so I don't know. Push down on the LCA with your foot, and pull the old spring out, insert new one, and reassemble. It's quick and easy.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any tutorials on how to do this?

--John

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Thats the same way I did my rear springs, no special tools required that way, don't know if its as fast, but its real easy.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts