TCCoA Forums banner

need new front 'struts'

892 views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Dutch 4.6 
#1 ·
been reading that bilsteins are off the market for MN12s...first - is this true/confirmed?

what is the consensus on next best setup? my monroes are too soft and one is ruptured now. i need the latest thinking...

thanks
bill h

#2 ·
yes.. we swiped the last of the bilsteins from Mexico :D

um, Koni's (inserts i believe) or i guess Ford Sport shocks are best bet now, as a lot of people complain about tokico and mushiness over time...

koni's would set you back around $500 for 4

#3 ·
Jim is right, I now for a fact that the Ford sportshocks are very nice. Had them on my car and they did there job very well. Good firm ride.
Recently I changed them for Tokico blues that were part of the Tokico handling set, (lowering springs and shocks).....shocks were a BIG mistake, well, at least for me :(
To weak and mushy, car handles like a seacarrier on open sea, gonna make me sick to my stomach...:zpuke:

I have these things for three weeks now and I'm gonna change them for Yellow Koni's. Had a "smokin" deal on these things (bought them directly from the plant thru my employer with 50% discount). Also, they are adjustable, so you can set them to your liking. And last but not least....they are DUTCH and so am I, so they must be good...;) (you Americans are not the only people who are Patriotic:uppoint: )

Hope this helps...:thumbsup:

Ed....

#4 ·
I just put the eibach. sport front lx rear combo and for the price its a good combo. Like night and day compared to my worn out stock stuff but if money is a problem i would go with the sport fronts I got them from dan for $60 a piece about $180 for all 4

#5 ·
Slap some shocks from a 03 Cobra Vert on the back... you will need diff nuts for the top. thats it.

I like mine.

#6 ·
hey this info is helping.

i only need the fronts though....and my car is lowered. the first set of OEM monroes were not valved for lowered ride heights so i had to redo them with a second set of monroes...these were ok but still too bouncey for my tastes.

so there is something called yellow tokicos? i am not so much worried about price...I will hit the internet and try to look them up. i like the item of adjustability up front.

otherwise, you guys are using the OW sport front struts with reasonable success eh?

thanks a ton...
bill

#8 ·
she runs like a champ bro!!! W&S motorsports gets my referral everyday and twice on sunday.

front end is worn out. i need control arms, front endlinks and struts min. been doing searches looking for all YOUR front end pix...was looking for that shiney front spindle setup you posted some time ago....i hate to miss the balls joints while i have it all apart.

i almost got a roush stage 3 recently....but we traded the taurus on an F150 crew cab king ranch.

the work you post up here is truly top drawer scott.....you (still) da man.

still scheming on the allen but front end has be distracted for now. software biz allows little time for car work either.

how bout you?

#9 ·
Bill H said:
so there is something called yellow tokicos? i am not so much worried about price...I will hit the internet and try to look them up. i like the item of adjustability up front.
There are no Yellow tokico's to my knowledge, unless someone has painted the blues yellow:D
The shocks I was referring to are Yellow Koni's and yes, these are the adjustable ones. If you're not worried about the price I recommend these babys.
Had them in a few earlier cars, allways loved them. You won't be disappointed.

#10 ·
yes - koni's - my typo.

they are a bit pricey but after the monroes...i deserve it.

i need to read up on what is involved with the insert install....i did the last 2 sets and will do this as well. i read somewhere you have to cut the original strut and insert the konis...

#12 ·
Good decision..:thumbsup:

I'm sure you're gonna like 'm so much you regret not havin' the rear ones as well. (NO, I'm not a sales manager at Koni :D )
Here's a link 'bout cutting the fronts..Koni install..clickie, clickie
As you can see' it's all pretty straight forward, there's also a clear instruction sheet enclosed with the Koni inserts...easy diy job. In the whole job, venting the old struts (beware of pressure!!!) and swapping the springs are the hardest things to do.

Lots of luck..
Ed....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.