TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any member have a good used PCM for a 1996 TB 4.6 auto? The part number is F6SF-12A650-CC MBE2 (it must be this exact number). I would like to very much buy one from a member that is reasonable and has no CEL issues. I have a front o2 sensor code that a Ford Master Mechanic friend has track the problem down to the PCM with his Ford service computer. We tried a NAPA Cardone PCM and it still did not turn off the CEL. He checked the o2 sensors and all of the wiring - all good. My mechanic is still convinced it is the PCM.

Any help would be appreicated.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I highly doubt it's the computer, also any mbe1 mbe2 or mbe3 or fte1 I believe basically any 96-97 computer for a v8 bird will work, u mine giving me the code the fords are my specialty on check engine lights

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Code is P0135 & P0155. Both sensors were just replaced and the wiring checked-out as working. No other parts have been replaced. PCM is communicating with the sensors as per the Ford service computer, but are triggering no heaters as working after 5 seconds and then triggering the CEL.

Any advise is appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,350 Posts
Were the sensors replaced before the old PCM threw the codes? Were the codes the same on both old & new PCMs? It could be that the heater circuits are the wrong resistance and are throwing back bad readings to the PCM.

I wouldn't really suspect wiring considering the ign circuit is split for each sensor most of the way. Any damage before the splice would result in other problems and any damage after the splice would just be unlikely.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, the o2 sensors were the same mfg. before and after the PCMs were changed out. The codes were the same before and after.

The sensors are from O'Reillys - Bosch - #13127.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps these Bosch sensors are marginal in their resistance?

Does anyone have good used FORD 02 sensors they have removed perhaps when they changed their exhaust system that I could buy?

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
NGK/NTK and Motorcraft is the better of the O2 sensors you should buy.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
yeah, i have a set of Bosch on mine that work ok. but i would definitely recommend getting motorcraft or something else.

i see a lot of issues with those Bosch on certain vehicles throwing codes right after replacement. people warranty them a lot for i want to say, Silverados and such. cant remember off the top of my head, but i know their sort of a crap-shoot.

if it were me, i would at least try another "know good" used set before you start replacing expensive ECMs.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BUMP - any other comments. I am leaning toward buying one Motorcraft 02 sensor to see if I get any other CEL results.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bosch O2 sensors are junk. I can't run them at all on my Trans Am. I get a CEL with them as well. I know they are two entirely different cars, but in the Fbody world no one buys bosch. I fpund put the hard way. Get yourself some motorcraft sensors.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered two Motorcraft sensors today and will return the Bosch sensors in the morning.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK, returned the Bosch o2 sensors and special ordered the MC sensors. I installed the MC sensors today. No CEL for 5 miles and 10 minutes of idling. Restarted car and got CEL P0135 and P0155 codes back again.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
IIWY, I would personally inspect every single mm of each and every single O2 wire from the bulkhead harness down to the wire connector itself, as well as all the vehicle grounds near the PCM and body grounds near the battery.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IIWY, I would personally inspect every single mm of each and every single O2 wire from the bulkhead harness down to the wire connector itself, as well as all the vehicle grounds near the PCM and body grounds near the battery.
I had a friend at a Ford dealership check all the wiring physically and with his service computer. His computer says the wiring is OK. I think I am dealing with two separate problems that may have occurred in the same time frame. First, I installed the wrong Bosch 02 sensors. Now I have the correct MC sensors installed and I believe It is time to again get another ECC and check things out. I just do not have the money now to get a new ECC. Does anyone have a spare ECC for F6SF-CC that I can borrow to test? I will pay for any shipping.

Thanks,

Glenn

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you fry my EEC, will you obtain another working one for me? Likely not lol :)
I was just looking for someone that may have a spare one around that was still working. I hate to buy a new one and then my CEL is still on.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts