TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Desperately need a oil pan for a 1997 Tbird 4.6 liter. I had the engine mounts replace by a local shop, now I have a major oil leak. The shop dented the oil pan were I had patched the pan a couple years ago. The patch held for several years until they dented the pan and broke patch. It's time to change the pan and none are to be found. Any one have one for sale or know where I can find one. I tried a couple local places with no success. Car is in great shape 110,000 miles.

Thanks
Jerry B.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Honestly the only option I see for you is to find a TBird/Cougar with the 4.6 in a yard and have the pan pulled (better if the yard pulls parts for you because the pan is a PITA). I believe the pans are the same on all 4.6 TBird/Cougars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Honestly the only option I see for you is to find a TBird/Cougar with the 4.6 in a yard and have the pan pulled (better if the yard pulls parts for you because the pan is a PITA). I believe the pans are the same on all 4.6 TBird/Cougars.
I'll try and patch it again for now and hope it holds until I find one . (I said that the first time I patched it).

Jerry B.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'll try and patch it again for now and hope it holds until I find one . (I said that the first time I patched it).

Jerry B.
I believe a few guys on here have parts cars they might be willing to get a pan off for you. Heck, I might be needing a pan if I screw up the punch and tap for the oil drain on my supercharger.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I think racecougar still has one. I do but I hacked a baffle out of mine to try and make it fit a pick-up tube when I kept trying to convince myself I didnt need to go get some new stuff. It holds oil just fine, I even wire wheeled the rust off and re painted it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think racecougar still has one. I do but I hacked a baffle out of mine to try and make it fit a pick-up tube when I kept trying to convince myself I didnt need to go get some new stuff. It holds oil just fine, I even wire wheeled the rust off and re painted it.
Thanks for the lead. I found one on-line at a salvage yard in another state, waiting to hear back from them.

Jerry B.

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts
Only pans from a MN12 or Mark 8 4.6l fit; everything else hits the K-member.

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Only pans from a MN12 or Mark 8 4.6l fit; everything else hits the K-member.
Soooooo cut the K-Member? :grin2:

jk, jk :p

No, a continental is a FWD DOHC engine; not the same as a Mark 8 at all.
I'm still amazed of such a large v8 being in an FWD configuration.

·
Super Moderator
10,270 Posts
Soooooo cut the K-Member? :grin2:

jk, jk :p

I'm still amazed of such a large v8 being in an FWD configuration.
People have cut and welded bracing in to put in other oil pans; there used to be pix. I'll use the mark one I have. :)

The tubular Kmember was an option; I think one of the northern guys proved why it wasn't 'streetworthy'. :)

The conti engine is freaking huge, with that big-ass intake.

It has C-heads, and might have cobra cams. :)

But: There's no engine mounts on one side, and it has a SBF bolt pattern on the tranny flange. :)

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I have a Mark VIII pan for sale. Upgrade from your stock 5 quart unit (MK8 pan holds 6 quarts). Check the parts for sale section and you'll see it. Will bolt right in.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Pick-up tube going to be a problem?

Jerry B.
Unless you have a high volume oil pump you dont need a mark pick up. Pre 96 marks used the same design as the bird and they all follow the same path. And the pans are almost exact except for the bubble of the passenger side of the mark pan. But, at least with the one I have, mark pick ups have much better bends, though they probably dont vary much in flow if at all.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey get back to a friend of mine has two lincoln mark 8's in the yard I can see if they're willing to pull them and if they even fit I can get the years of them but I'm almost positive they're all the same style he's storing two SC parts cars for me so let me know and I'll do what I can for ya Gambit

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey get back to a friend of mine has two lincoln mark 8's in the yard I can see if they're willing to pull them and if they even fit I can get the years of them but I'm almost positive they're all the same style he's storing two SC parts cars for me so let me know and I'll do what I can for ya Gambit
Thanks everyone for the help and info on the oil pan. Thanks Gambit for the offer to check your parts donors. I have a Tbird pan on the way from a salvage yard in another state. Suppose to be in good shape, will see. Looks like I'll need emergency brake cables and tensioner behind the rear axel, more corroded parts.

Merry Christmas Everyone,

Jerry B.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts