TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been a reader here for a long time but this is my first post.
I have a '95 Cougar XR7 4.6 that I bought used in 1998 with 21,000 miles on it and have maintained it myself ever since (now at 83,000). But now I need a little help. As you guys know some parts are getting hard to find.

I need one new Tokico HE3690 rear shock. (I have one new one) Does anybody know where I can buy one of these?

The car failed California smog and I thought this was the end. But I installed new engine valve stem seals and it passed smog with flying colors. So I put some new parts in the front suspension. Tokicos, ball joints, bushings, and all is like new. Now the back is one shock short.

Hope someone can help,
Richard

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Thanks Scott! I need to give them a call to see if they're still available. I heard they are discontinued.

Phantasm in in downtown Raleigh.

Al

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
I have read that the 1999-04 Mustang Cobra rear shocks can be used on the MN12.
Read ya later, Nick
They will fit but I would caution you to replace your shocks in pairs at least.
Otherwise, a new rear driver side dampener coupled to an old but not quite blown rear pass side dampener could make for some "exciting" and not very predictable driving.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kidd-7

Thanks for the source. I did buy a shock from the supercoupe.com site.
These Tokicos are hard to find because they are getting out of the shock business.

Richard

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good advice regarding replacing shocks in pairs.
I have installed 2 on the front and have one new rear one waiting to install when the second new one arrives.
I was almost ready to give up and either leave the KYBs on or buy a pair of another brand. But now, I soon will have 4 new Tokicos on my Cougar.
Like Mr. T used to say 'I love it when a plan comes together'.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Good advice regarding replacing shocks in pairs.
I have installed 2 on the front and have one new rear one waiting to install when the second new one arrives.
I was almost ready to give up and either leave the KYBs on or buy a pair of another brand. But now, I soon will have 4 new Tokicos on my Cougar.
Like Mr. T used to say 'I love it when a plan comes together'.
And "I pitty the fool"

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
So supercoupe performance actually has them? Not sure they are worth $800, that is some kind of markup.

All I have found so far is deadends. One place appears to have them in my cart if you force feed in the part #, but if you put in your car it doesn't even list the Tokicos as an option.

Al

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I too found lots of dead ends trying to find that last shock. Twice I paid for shocks and had to get reimbursed because they could not get them.

After all that I am certain that the only place that I could buy the Tikoco shock I wanted is supercoupes.com

I did buy one at his price (ouch - double what I paid for mine). I don't think I would have bought a set of 4. There are other brands out there.

We all know that car guys can get crazy when they want something. These are really well built shocks - almost as good as the Bilsteins. (my opinion)

If people buy the remaining 3 sets at the price listed more power to them and the seller.

Richard

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Buy the bilstein or konis for a 99-04 IRS mustangs.

However, a quick check:

8041-1270SPORT Koni's are showing special pricing, ON BACKORDER. at 136

Which means they're probably gone. :(

The
B6 Bilsteins, 24-185356 , are backordered as well at 99 bux.

B8 Bilsteins, 24-185974 , are backordered as well at 99 bux.

We may not have good options anymore.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
To mount a set of Tokicos, do you need any special hardware, or can you just re-use the factory front mounts?

My left front shock was squeaking at low speeds when it was cold, but has since gone away. Does the shock mount just need a little grease?

Thanks,
Al

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
It sure sounded like it was coming from the strut. It squeaked 100% of the time when it was cold, when driving at low speeds, or if you pushed the car up and down in the front. Now, the sound is gone with the warm weather.

I did grease the hood rubber stoppers. The control arms, etc were all replaced by the P.O.

Al

·
Registered
484 Posts
I had a "scrunch" going over speed bumps slowly before my last front shocks and strut mounts. That lasted the whole time between new Monroes and new Tokicos up front. My strut mounts needed replacing badly when I finally replaced them with the Tokicos.

I think I got the Tokicos from "Shockwarehouse" linked above. Some people were surprised they were available again three years ago.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I've always reused the mounts when I replaced the fronts. I did have to replace the mounts recently, they probably had 160k on them, the studs were loose and would wiggle by hand.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The shockwarehouse doesn't have the Tokicos any more.

Al

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
the 99-04 Cobra's were kind of a rare breed, so some of their suspension stuff may be falling out of production. Tokico makes a good shock. I think 800 is worth it. I have a set of front Koni's I got from my parts Lincoln so I am good there, my rears I did about 3 years ago with KYB's because I am poor. Were I not able to go that route ya, the Tokico's would come right after tax money came back, or a big snow, or some big storm that kept me at work a few days straight with emergency pay

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The KYB front shocks used to make a rubbing sound sometimes. It was the plastic/rubber piston rod cover.

I installed the front Tokicos and used the old Ford mounts. Also a new moog lower strut busing. The shocks work as advertised and I like them very much.

I am looking forward to installing the rear shocks next week.

Too bad Hitachi got out of the automobile shock absorber business. They made a good product - as we know.

I looked 3 months before finding another rear Tokico. I think supercoupeperformance has the last known Tokicos and they think so too.

The price is up to a buyer. I paid plenty for one shock. My reason is I wanted to have a full set of Tokicos on my car. I am 75 years old and spent some of the kids inheritance. They will just have to suck it up. ha ha

Richard

1 - 20 of 62 Posts