TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks, I am converting an acid washer I bought at work to a parts washer. I will post some pictures later but it is probably 2.5ft deep, 2.5 feet wide, 4 ft long, made of 304 stainless and has 3 120 volt heaters on the bottom. What I am looking for is a solution I come put in there that is not flammable and will not freeze. I know the freezing part is going to be the hard part. Also if you guys have seen any kits that include the pump and cleaner hose that would be great.
Thanks
David

·
̇
3,702 Posts
coggonobrien said:
I am looking for is a solution I come put in there that is not flammable and will not freeze.
We use Simple Green in our parts washer at work, of course this is in a heated facility that doesn't get below freezing..

Simple Green does freeze by itself..Maybe if you add some WD40 to it, that would prevent it from freezing??

I mean, add some WD40 from a jug like this:

I'm not a chemist or anything, but as far as I know WD40 isn't flammable as a liquid alone..

Spraying it out of an aerosol can with a propellant is a different story though.. :zdevil:

My buddy just uses diesel and kerosene mixed together in the parts washer in his shop..

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Hi folks, I am converting an acid washer I bought at work to a parts washer. I will post some pictures later but it is probably 2.5ft deep, 2.5 feet wide, 4 ft long, made of 304 stainless and has 3 120 volt heaters on the bottom. What I am looking for is a solution I come put in there that is not flammable and will not freeze. I know the freezing part is going to be the hard part. Also if you guys have seen any kits that include the pump and cleaner hose that would be great.
Thanks
David
David:
Check the SDS/MSDS

I just looked at the SDS for Berryman Chem Dip and it says it freezes <0F (what you are looking for.

https://www.berrymanproducts.com/assets/CD-A-Int-0996-SDS1.pdf

Its nonflammable but I think the biggest issue is that this stuff is an inhalation hazard -- can you seal the washer just like you would the gallon can of this stuff?
---

Simple Green Freezes @ 32F http://simplegreen.com/pdfs/MSDS_EN-US_AllPurposeCleaner.pdf

This one says that Purple Power can go <32F
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/78/78e356c0-ce18-4571-b5e5-aa835716f9c1.pdf

SuperClean goes Freezes at 26F
http://supercleanbrands.com/sites/default/files/2015 SuperClean Degreaser SDS.pdf

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lid on the tank does not seal and eventually when I finish the heated shop it will go in there. thanks for all the help guys, maybe the answer is to go with something like purple power, just keep the level down during the winter and pre heat the tank if I plan to use it.

·
Super Moderator
10,288 Posts
I'm not a chemist or anything, but as far as I know WD40 isn't flammable as a liquid alone..

Rayo..
We use WD 40 for potato cannon fuel, if we can't find Final Net Hair spray, lol.

It's flammable. :grin2:

Starter fluid doesn't have the distance.

I'd rewire the heaters, and put them all in series, that way it doesn't eat as much power, and will keep it from freezing.

If it will be down for the winter, drain it into a bucket, and put it somewhere that won't freeze.

·
&#775;
3,702 Posts
Grog6 said:
We use WD 40 for potato cannon fuel, if we can't find Final Net Hair spray, lol.

It's flammable
AFAIK, it's the propellant in the WD40 that's flammable..Not the liquid itself..

See what I mean in this video:

Oh yeah, and potato cannons rock!

Rayo..

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Non-flammable and won't freeze (assuming at 32°F) won't happen , either get water based or solvent base. The only solution I could think of to get what you want is at Salt to water based, that way you could get down to ~0°F.

If memory serves Purple Power is not aluminum safe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts