TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, my right rear inner wheel bearing seized up at some point and destroyed my hub/spindle.
I can't seem to find replacement spindles anywhere. I'll be doing a 5x4.5 re-drill of the rear spindles so if anyone can help, I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Full Tilt Boogie Racing makes new hubs in 4.5in. About $120 a piece.

Might be a quicker solution if no one has spares.
Thank you Wile E! I'll check them out immediately. I really appreciate the reply.

Just looked and they are back-ordered with no eta. Thanks again for the tip and if anyone has any spares, PLEASE let me know!

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,716 Posts
I am 90% certain early 90s Taurus front hubs are the same as our rear hubs, it’s the supposed reason our cars have the same bolt pattern. Bearings are the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 90% certain early 90s Taurus front hubs are the same as our rear hubs, it’s the supposed reason our cars have the same bolt pattern. Bearings are the same.

For $25 buck I'm willing to give it a shot! Thank you for the input! As much as I've read on here I can't believe this is the first I've heard it. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1991 Mercury Cougar LS 5.0 in restoration
1,876 Posts
I didn't find mine... Think I tossed them as I don't plan to ever use the stock bolt pattern again. Plus have a set still on the car. Sorry about that. Hope the Taurus ones work.

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Full Tilt Boogie Racing makes new hubs in 4.5in. About $120 a piece.

Might be a quicker solution if no one has spares.
I've looked on RA just now, and they don't seem to have ANY rear hubs for 5x108 and 5x114.

Why is this the case?

·
Administrator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
23,716 Posts
I've looked on RA just now, and they don't seem to have ANY rear hubs for 5x108 and 5x114.

Why is this the case?
In most cases the rear hubs are not a wear item, ideally you catch a failing bearing before it seizes and starts chewing up the hub and/or spindle. It would have been a Ford only part you’d have to buy from the dealership back when these cars were new/late model.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
You'll have to get the rear knuckle from a Junkyard. It' 3 bolts. 18, and 21, a 35 for the hub, and the 19mm lugnuts. And even better, the bearing might be good. :)

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
The rear wheel bearing is pressed into the knuckle, and there's a snap ring. The hub is pressed into the bearing. Then the cv joint end goes thru the hub, and holds everything together. Yes, it sounds as fucked up to me typing this as it does to you.

Reactions: Kidd-7

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
I have two OEM, per my parts list, hubs & bearings in my parts collection. PN of them are F3SZ1109A.

Looks like it's the hub and bearing per Ford Parts Giant?

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
I have two OEM, per my parts list, hubs & bearings in my parts collection. PN of them are F3SZ1109A.

Looks like it's the hub and bearing per Ford Parts Giant?

That parts discontinued btw. May wanna update your list.

And thats just the hub. Bearing is pressed into the spindle then snap ring'd in place. Hub is pressed into bearing after that.

·
Super Moderator
14,211 Posts
And be sure to have the knuckle Firmly supported, And the Inner race is supported, otherwise half the bearing gets blown out of the assembly. If the support for the knuckle slips, it breaks the knuckle. It is incredibly easy to do this wrong, lol.
You will note that one inner race is slightly bigger, and does not get pressed, that goes toward the Axle, and it allows the inner races to meet, and accept the 200 ft-lb preload.
If you get it backwards, it will loosen up.
and otherwise half the bearing gets blown out of the assembly, and you get to order a new bearing.
You have to rotate the wheel as you torque the axle nut, so the inner races come together.
If you get it right, it will last 100kmi, wrong, and you're doing it again soon. :)

• Angry
Reactions: Kidd-7
1 - 16 of 16 Posts