TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about 3.73s. I think 4.10s may be a bit much. This is a 97 Thunderbird, street driven mostly. Daily driven in the city and some highway/interstate driving. I just want a little more low end grunt. From my research it seem that 3.73s are the most promising. Just wanted to here from those who have them on a daily driver.

On a side note. I was also curious if anyone had any recommendations for a stall size if any for street vehicle. But if necessary I could start another thread for that in the proper section. I just didn't want to be the annoying newb thread whore.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
3.73s are great I just installed them in my bird a couple months ago. Breaks the tires very easy now, doesn't struggle as much to get the heavy a$$ boat moving. You won't regret them!! I really want some 4.10s but unfortunately I do too much highway driving right now :/. (over the summer 1 hr to work, 1.5 hrs from work - all highway driving) BUT I still don't regret doing it!!

Stall depends; a lot of guys like the upgraded mark viii converter that stalls around 2800 rpm. Personally I am thinking about going with a real converter, prob 3500 rpm. But the mark viii converter will be the best bang for the buck as the real converters are NOT cheap.

Where in TN are ya?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome. Next question. I'm looking into an LSD set up. I don't like the lockers. Or rather, wheel hop. Any brands better than others? I've only had experience with auburn gears.

And as far as the stall goes. 3500 seems a little high if there is any potential to run into stop and go traffic.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
For a frequently street driven car I would suggest 3.73s the 2800 stall and a jmod. Those 3 alone will make your much more fun without even touching the motor. A tune isn't an absolute necessity, but it will run 10x better with one.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
For a frequently street driven car I would suggest 3.73s the 2800 stall and a jmod. Those 3 alone will make your much more fun without even touching the motor. A tune isn't an absolute necessity, but it will run 10x better with one.
That's pretty much exactly where I was going. I need to learn to tune myself or fins someone close. One last thing. Is the stall spline count and rear end spline count 28 spline? And where is a good place to buy? I usually stick with the classic jegs or summit.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
3.73s are great I just installed them in my bird a couple months ago. Breaks the tires very easy now, doesn't struggle as much to get the heavy a$$ boat moving. You won't regret them!! I really want some 4.10s but unfortunately I do too much highway driving right now :/. (over the summer 1 hr to work, 1.5 hrs from work - all highway driving) BUT I still don't regret doing it!!

Stall depends; a lot of guys like the upgraded mark viii converter that stalls around 2800 rpm. Personally I am thinking about going with a real converter, prob 3500 rpm. But the mark viii converter will be the best bang for the buck as the real converters are NOT cheap.

Where in TN are ya?
Sorry, I missed that last question. I'm in the Knoxville area in the eastern part of TN.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sorry, I missed that last question. I'm in the Knoxville area in the eastern part of TN.
Not to butt in but I miss TN!! VA sucks!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
You might want to research torque converters a little more before you decide. Almost everyone that gets the mark 8 (26-2800 stall) TC ends up getting a 35-3800 stall eventually. There's a really good thread somewhere that talks about it, I think the tread is called 'how much stall' or something similar. But I mean to each there own for some people high stall bugs the crap out of them others not as much.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Well then come back. I would not want to leave TN either but I do have this weird drawing to NC.
Well if the Navy would give me orders to Nashville I would gladly accept them :D

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,370 Posts
The rear end spline count is 28, correct.

As far as stall... 2600-2800 with 3.73s is a good combo for a street/highway driven car. 3500 stall is a little high for street use IMO unless you find a good tuner who will lock the converter after shifting into 2nd. Perhaps after I finish tuning my engine and the weather clears I can make a short video of how the car behaves with 3500 stall and 3.73s locking after the 1-2.

Look up Precision Industries or Circle D for your converter if you want an aftermarket unit rather than a Marauder or Mark VIII/Mustang GT converter (I cannot recommend DirtyDog's services, unfortunately). Also be aware that you need the small bolt pattern flex plate to use most (if not all) of those converters.

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Another place to look at for torque converters would be Dirty Dog Performance. Alan is here on the forums from time to time.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I'm thinking of going with 4.10s and only drive in the city, so it sounds like a modded M8/Marauder converter would be what I should get, eh?

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
The 11.25" unit will give more punch but still retain good driveability without having to make drastic changes elsewhere (in the tune). Anything higher than 2800 and you start really noticing how loose the converter is.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the video would be great. I would love to see how it responds. I see a lot of stop and go traffic on my way home from work. I understand that the car will move under 3500 rpms. But I have very little experience with aftermarket converters.

·
Registered
817 Posts
With the DOHC I know people say 4.10's are the way to go. What about with a daily driver seeing about an hour total of highway driving a day? Should I step down to 3.90's or even 3.73's? Lookin to buy gears right now but dont know what to go with. It's got an 03 GT converter in it which is i think a 2300 stall? Also what speedo gear would I need with an 02 Gran Marquis trans having the different toothed tailshaft gear? Thanks guys.

·
Super Moderator
9,370 Posts
How big are your tires?

With an 8 tooth output shaft you need a speedcal if you run anything shorter than a 3.55 and a 27" tire. With that combo you'd need a 21 tooth gear. Anything with more teeth is known to break and send chunks of plastic through the tranny.

With a 4.10 and a 26.5" tire, you'd theoretically need a 25 tooth gear, which doesn't exist.

If you'd rather avoid the speedcal, you can swap an MN12 or FN10 4R70W 7 tooth output shaft onto the 2002 transmission. Then with a 27" tire and 4.10 you will be right where you need to be with a 21 tooth speedo gear.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts