TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost a piece of door trim, probably on the road somewhere. Finding an OEM replacement could take a long time. The car looks like shyt without it. While I'm looking for an OEM replacement, I'm thinking an aftermarket piece would work temporarily. Has anyone seen any trim that's a reasonably good match?

I need the #3 piece in the diagram.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,643 Posts
Assuming 94/95 given the style? What color?

Reactions: XR7-4.6

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,819 Posts
It just fell off? I don’t think I have ever seen that happen on one of these before, I’ve seen these cars in junkyards with hideous broadside damage and the moldings were still clinging to the twisted sheetmetal! ?they ever been removed before with subpar tape or other substitute adhesive used?

If you can’t find any you may as well pull the rest off too. I personally don’t like how naked it makes the sides look, but it beats an obvious missing piece.

Assuming 94/95 given the style? What color?
And if not 94/5, what trim? There were three totally different styles used in 1992 for example

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It just fell off?
It does seem odd. The kicker is, I only drive the car 5 or 6 times a year. It has not been my daily driver since May of 2018. I'm the original owner, so it was my daily driver for a very long time. It's the trim on the passenger door. If it were the driver's door, I would have noticed it right away. I haven't taken it through a car wash in a very long time, so I don't think it happened there, or I would have noticed it. The car sits outside, so it's possible someone stole it, but I doubt it.

It's a 1994 LX, V8. Color is royal blue, paint code is KM. BTW, I had it repainted in 2005. After 15 years, the repaint looks better than the factory paint did after only 5 or 6 six years when the clearcoat started to flake & peel. If I remove all the trim, I think it would look worse because of the lines from the repaint.

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
17,819 Posts
BTW, I had it repainted in 2005. After 15 years, the repaint looks better than the factory paint did after only 5 or 6 six years when the clearcoat started to flake & peel. If I remove all the trim, I think it would look worse because of the lines from the repaint.
Gotcha, mine has the same problem on the passenger side by way of the previous owner. Worst yet it seemed to be removed and replaced prior to that for whatever reason and it’s not straight, can’t realign it without the paint line becoming visible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts