TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The "bad guys" cleaned out the trunk on my '94 'Boid LX V8. I need a factory scissor jack, spare, lug. I am in St. Louis, MO, USA.

The jack looks to be the trickiest. It has 2 projections that fit into 2 notches in what the manual describes as the rocker panel near each wheel. I've never been a fan of the unibody stuff.

Does anybody know?
1.) Is the frame functionally identical on all MN12's ('89-'97)?
2.) Is the lug-hole pattern on MN12's the same as Panthers? Taurus?

There's a "1989 90 91 THUNDERBIRD JACK" on ebay: the top of it does -not- look like my old jack. Maybe the frame is the same only for
'94-'97?

I've been to 2 junkyards and found near zero jacks, they throw 'em out so folks won't jack-up the junk cars on the lot. Serious headache. :-(

Thx,
Puddin'

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,542 Posts
brakes?

1) Yes.
2) Same as the Taurus, not the Panther. This may help: http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=15789
Hi
The bolt pattern is the same a Taurus. But if you have upgraded or sports brakes
the Taurus wheels might not fit over them.
So try them before you purchase one.

Just looked for a jack. Could find it. I might have one from my 96 Too much stuff.
3 engines + 3 tranys + dozen tires & suspension to about 3 more t-birds
this includes there k's.
oh yeah my 2 T-birds. ++++...

If you can't find one I will look again.

Paul

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
The bolt pattern is the same a Taurus. But if you have upgraded or sports brakes
the Taurus wheels might not fit over them.
So try them before you purchase one.
Doubtful I'll be able to try/test, but my brakes are pretty much 'standard': Raybestos metallic replacement pads, rotors turned once.

Just looked for a jack. Could find it. I might have one from my 96 Too much stuff.
3 engines + 3 tranys + dozen tires & suspension to about 3 more t-birds
this includes there k's.
oh yeah my 2 T-birds. ++++...

If you can't find one I will look again.
I'm pretty sure I can't find one exactly like the original. Guy at the parts counter at the dealer said they are "not available". Junkyards around here look to be little/no help.

I don't wanna put you to too much additional trouble, but if you've got one with the 2 little protrusions on the top (and you can spare it), I could sure use it, pay any reasonable price.

Much Thanks,
Puddin'

·
Registered
255 Posts
I will check tomorrow in my Bird. I may still have mine but Im not for sure. If its in there I will let you know being as Im only a few hours south.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
The jack is easy I use a Bonneville jack, I got after mine stripped out. As for a spare the Taurus is the best choice but a Probe will also work.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The jack is easy I use a Bonneville jack, I got after mine stripped out.
Where do you place it (so it'll do no damage) when in use??

As for a spare the Taurus is the best choice but a Probe will also work.
Near as I can tell, part of the trick is just identifying the jack. At the junkyard, practically none of 'em are in the cars, and if they are, there's still no way to tell where (what car) they came from. There's stuff slung all over the place.

P

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
They jack exactly the same since both are Uni-body cars, and comparable weights. I got mine from a private party at a local parts store even came with a case and lug wrench.

I might have to get into storage this week I'll see if can scrounge it up and get you a pic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked 6 more junkyards today. None had a jack identical to the original (sigh). That pretty much exhausts my list of yards.

Did manage to snag a donut from a junked Taurus. Slapped it on a junk Bird hub to check: lug holes align fine (thanks, master486).

Never dreamed a flogging jack could be so hard to replace.

P

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know what you mean about trust. I take a gander at the undercarriage and hafta wonder if -any- of the jacks I've seen will support a corner of the beast w/o doing damage.

Thanks for the HF tip. I'll probably pick up and see if I can adapt it.

P

1 - 12 of 12 Posts