TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 25 year old brother lives in Omaha with his fiance in a nice condo complex. They have a parking garage next to the building, and late last year his car (a nice 2001 Honda Civic Si) was broken into, stolen and retrieved just across the river in Council Bluffs, Iowa. All this happened on a weekend that he was out of town. There was minor damage to the car (steering column, flat spotted tires, front fascia scraped) and his insurance covered it after his deductible. Right around Christmas it happened again. Stolen from the same outdoor garage and recovered in a few days - again with damage but nothing too bad - the computer was removed and an old stereo was left in the trunk. He again had to pay his deductible to get the car fixed. He is now suspecting that someone in his building that he reported for wrongdoing is responsible for the thefts. There are no cameras in either the building or the garage. Last week someone again attempted to break into the car - he could see pry marks at the top of the window rail. He loves his car but honestly he's tired of this ordeal. I suggested that he rig a hand grenade to the door that will fall out when opened and blow up the bastards, taking the car with it. He was thinking he would sleep in the back seat with a blanket and a shotgun to catch them. Any suggestions appreciated...

·
Premium Member
3,247 Posts
Suggestion:

Go to a Home Security business, and RENT a security camera with recorder.
They make portable ones now that work on an extended length battery. They also have motion-sensitive activation, so they will only record movement.
The cameras are so small, that the perp won't even know it's there. They also can come with infra-red illuminators to record in nightime hours.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Hightech:
http://www.lojack.com/

http://www.lojack.com/what/stolen-vehicle-recovery-system.cfm
A small, silent transmitter hidden in your vehicle allowing the police to track it if it's stolen.

http://www.lojack.com/what/early-warning-recovery-system.cfm
The new auto security system that contacts you if someone is moving your vehicle without your permission.

I didn't research the price, so I don't know how cost effective it is. But from what I've read, it's about the best you can go. And the good thing is that often the bastards get caught in the act. :redmad: :zbash:

Lowtech:
Install a big, loud, obnoxious alarm/theft deterrent system.

:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
While the back seat and shotgun idea sounds tempting, it is just fraught with things that can go wrong. Besides, if he did catch the guy the fact that he was "laying in waiting" wouldn't look good in court.

I like the camera idea, and the security systems. If it is just a guy trying to be a PIA, then the obnoxious loud theft deterrent system would probably work.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Embalmer said:
I suggested that he rig a hand grenade to the door that will fall out when opened and blow up the bastards, taking the car with it. He was thinking he would sleep in the back seat with a blanket and a shotgun to catch them. Any suggestions appreciated...
Shoot, shovel, shut up? :eek:

Seriously though, I think trying to get some sort of video surveillance around the area would be very beneficial. Also, I'd definitely say an alarm if he doesn't already have one.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Maybe he can rig up a remote kill switch that won’t allow that car to be started. I def concur with the camera idea too. I hate those a-holes who do that to peoples cars, we had a problem with people keying cars in the parking lot at my old school. If somebody had keyed my car and I found out who its was…

There was a device on TV that would clamp onto your brake peddle and wedge between the peddle and the floor. It looks pretty damn near impossible to get off with ordinary tools. Can’t remember the name of it though.

·
Registered
871 Posts

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
yea and something that once hes in he cant get out. well, unless he breaks the windows. but a camera is awesome. the good part about catching him is that you can kick his ***. i would think he would not call the oinkers casue he broke in your car. then again people are getting away with some stupid cases.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
how about move?

·
13's or Mildly Broken
2,670 Posts
Or maybe find another garage to park at? I'm not sure of the condo's in Omaha - but I would think there would be a few places to park down there. I believe they are all in the downtown area so parking is probably fairly limited. Are any other cars being stolen in the area?

And off topic - if you come over to Omaha to see him, post up - there's a handful of us in the Omaha area including myself :D

-Melon

·
Registered
294 Posts
seriously, an alarm and motion activated camera FTW. make sure its a decent resolution camera, so you can see the guys face and get his *** thrown in jail.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
That just breaks rules of all kinds. Moral, ethical, good judgement, good taste.....

·
Registered
294 Posts
Traveler said:
That just breaks rules of all kinds. Moral, ethical, good judgement, good taste.....
you mean what I said? or what the guy is doing to the OP's Brother's car?

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Melon said:
Or maybe find another garage to park at? I'm not sure of the condo's in Omaha - but I would think there would be a few places to park down there. I believe they are all in the downtown area so parking is probably fairly limited. Are any other cars being stolen in the area?

And off topic - if you come over to Omaha to see him, post up - there's a handful of us in the Omaha area including myself :D

-Melon
We visited last summer over July 4th weekend. His fiance works for the Omaha newspaper and we got tickets to see the baseball game and fireworks downtown. Had a great time and I'll definately be back again. He lives just north of the Fleet Center on 10th & Dodge.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
AbSeNtEE said:
you mean what I said? or what the guy is doing to the OP's Brother's car?
No, someone posted a rather vulgar, tasteless, and otherwise inappropriate picture right before traveler made his comment. The post has since been deleted . . . though the image remains burned in my retinas.

·
Boom.
5,238 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
No, someone posted a rather vulgar, tasteless, and otherwise inappropriate picture right before traveler made his comment. The post has since been deleted . . . though the image remains burned in my retinas.

I'm going to have nightmares tonight...

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Yup I say go with the video camera idea.. either that or a car alarm with a transmitter so he can catch the guy in the act..they are fairly cheap now. That pic of the honda is right by ur garage =P haha i remember that!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts