TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Need Some Advice Please

Here's the scoop:

My boss just called me to ask if I had ever heard of a "Motors Book"(The book that says how long a specific job should take). I told him I know what it was, and he explained his story.

Car is 99 Ford Taurus:

Took car to stealership to replace VSS, Pigtail Harness, Front Wheel Berings, and Oil Change. The vehicle was in the shop for 2.5 hours.

Total Cost Billed:

256.00 for parts
793.00 for labor, including 150.00 diagnostics machine charge.

So here's the problem 643.00 for labor on 2.5 hours work, he asked how did you(mechanic) arrive at that price of 643, he said 93.00 per hour labor costs.

My boss said, okay......93.00 hr x 2.5 hours = 232.50

Where'd the other 410.00 come from? The boss at the dealership said, the" motor book" claimed 7 hours to complete job. Hence my boss was charged for 7 hours labor, when the car was out of the dealership in 2.5 hours.

Does he have a claim at all, I think so, but need more experienced people to chime in here.

Also, could the above listed maintenance really take 7 hours to complete?

What should he do as first course of action?

Thanks So Much for reading this long post.

I appreciate it, as does he.

Dave

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
See if your state has a Bureau of Automotive Repair like they have here in CA.

I ran into the same thing with a dealer out here. They quoted me a cost per hour which I agreed to, even though it was high. Then, when done, they pulled the same stunt as happened to you - $500 for 2 hours work. They even estimated it would take 2 hours going in, but charged me for 4, even though the timecard showed 2 hours!

When they wouldn't back down, I filed a report with the BAR - they even have a detailed standard form for it here. And if there's anything a dealer doesn't want it's a bad mark from the BAR - people can look up to see how many reports have been filed against a dealer, (though they can't normally see the reports themselves), and it can really hurt their business if customers see a pattern of complaints.

To make a long story short, the dealer made good on a refund. And in the process, the BAR found them in violation of a bunch of other things, and even though they are one of the areas "showcase" dealers, they had to clean up their act.

Hopefully something similar will work out for you.

One other place to see if there's any validity to the dealer's claim is to post a message over at www.flatratetech.com - that's where the GOOD Ford techs hang out, and they will definitely let you know if the dealer was out of line. Just post your message over there - I'm sure you'll get some very interesting replies, especially since they're so tired of getting screwed by their management! In your example, I pretty much guarantee the techs only got paid for their actual time, with management pocketing the extra...

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Alot for your reply, I appreciate your long post and help.

Dave

EDIT:

I cannot find any BAR in MAssachusetts, only in CA does it exist. Could it be called something else?

I posted at that other site after registering, I guess we'll see.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The first step would to talk to the general manager or district manager. if he is unhappy with their solution, he should contact ford corperate, and after that if he still isn't happy then he should consult an attorney.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Chilton labor manual gives 2.7 hrs to replace the speedsensor on that car(sounds really high to me). Installing the pigtail would add .2(they better have soldered the wires too) The front wheel bearings are 3.3 (this is where the technicians expensive hub tamer really pays for itself) Oil change is .2. Normal "scanning" fee is 1 hour( I doubt it took 5 minutes) making the chilton book give 7.4 hours to do the job. It sounds like you had a technician who was very familiar with that car and he got it done really fast. I doubt a lawsuit will be successful but most good dealers are concerned with there reputation and will try to make you happy.
Alan

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've heard about this problem before, maybe right here at TCCoA forums? Shady mechanics meet their boss' quotas for labor by charging for listed hours rather than actual hours. If it's an owner of a business, I think this is referred to as "poking your eyeballs out". I would think it's a practice where lawyers can attack more vigorously.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
It probaly wasn't the mechanic writing in the hours. Usually the service writer finishes the ticket and finalizes the hours. Most dealerships have a sign on the wall somewhere in plain sight that states that they charge labor hours given by a flat rate manual. Not actual labor time spent on the vehicle. You are forced to agree to these terms by having that dealer do the work for you.
Alan

·
Administrator
14,208 Posts
It worked out reverse for me once. They quoted me time to swap a water pump on a Galant thinking it was a 4 cyl and when they got the car it was a Galant Sigma v6 so it required two hours more than they quoted me, so they gave it to me at the quote.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Let us know what happens. I think you are probably SOL unless they agree to refund something to you. It is common practice to charge 'by the book'. Many mechanics make good money by being able to beat the book rate. I would imagine they had you sign an estimate?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts