TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a horrible miss at idle, it sounds cammed. Really bad. It's got BRAND NEW plugs, wires, fuel filter, and a fairly new maf. The thing is it won't idle with the maf plugged in without me keeping it running; It just dies. So I unplugged the maf, and now it idles, but still misses really badly. Anywhere above 2800rpm it sounds good/doesn't miss, but any lower, and it misses. It also doesn't constantly search for idle, but it idles at 700rpm, then about every 20 seconds will jump up to about 3000rpm then goes back down, and idles/misses. I've checked the tps (1.00idle-4.66wot), the injectors are all getting signals, and clicking. It doesn't smell like gas(I have no way to check fuel pressure/fpr) The only things I can think of that I haven't already done are I haven't checked the injector resistance, but they're clickin'. And I haven't checked the IAC, which with my luck is probably what it is. Other than unplugging it to see if it makes a difference, how do you test the IAC? Here's the wierd thing, I tried to scan it, and it comes back "Vehicle Not Responding" It's got a CEL, but won't throw a code. Please somebody help me. I just miss my car! ...almost forgot... coilpacks are all firing, and plugs are getting spark.

·
Registered
708 Posts
sounds like a plug wire misfire. did you use antiseize on the plugs? one time i put too much on and the plug wouldnt ground to the head. i know you said you just changed them? maybe a rip in a boot? that would let the spark shoot to the head instead of the plug

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do use a liberal amount of antisieze, but I wipe the excess off with my fingers. I checked all the wires, and they're good. I was hoping someone would post something about the "Vehicle Not Responding" that I get when I try to check the codes. I've never had that happen. I've basically got it narrowed down to the IAC, injectors, or the EEC. Does anyone know what the "Vehicle Not Responding" means?

·
Premium Member
585 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet, thanks a lot. I called Lonnie, and he said when the computer says vehicle not responding, it's related to the IAC. So that's where I'll start.

·
Premium Member
585 Posts
I'll have to remember that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I cleaned the old IAC, and put it back on. No help. So, I got a new IAC; That did nothing. I checked the resistance on all of the injectors; They're fine. There's nothing left other than the EEC. I can't think of anything other than a bad EEC. Any input from anyone? Please. Anyone have an EEC lyin' around (MBE1 preferably) :)

·
Registered
708 Posts
This type of stuff is always plug and wire related, especially since you just messed with them. sort of overkill to blame the eec so soon. i still think its the antiseize or a bad wire. just how did you check them?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The plugs, and wires are BRAND new. Just put new plug wires on today. I talked to a guy, and he said try the coolant temperature sensor, so that's what I'm gonna do. I'm not buying these parts, they're off another bird. I'm not just gonna throw money at it for fun.

master486 said:
Not ALWAYS...I've seen this as a result of the ICM, MAF, vacuum leaks...
What's the ICM? No vacuum leaks. Checked with carb cleaner.

·
Registered
255 Posts
maybe there is somthing wrong with your computer all together... just a thought.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did a KOEO test, it threw p1443. Evap purge vacuum system. What do I do to fix this?

·
5,650 Posts
jesusraybrown said:
Did a KOEO test, it threw p1443. Evap purge vacuum system. What do I do to fix this?
Most likely one of the vacuum lines going to the vapor canister has completely rotted, causing a leak in the line. Check all the lines at the vapor canister (behind front bumper, passenger side) and going all the way to the engine.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's why when I checked for vacuum leaks, I didn't get anything. I looked at the lines today; They're all rotted down next to the chassis to block ground cable, and behind the bumper. I'm getting new hose tomorrow, and hopefully it'll fix it. Thanks for the help Chris.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I would say vac leak to. Especially since at high revs it runs and the hunting.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I replaced all of the vac lines, and nothing... I'm at a loss. I'm about to take it to my mechanic.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Pull the line on the brake booster and plug it.

I've never seen it but have heard of them going bad and leaking.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are NO vacuum leaks whatsoever. When I start it, I have to hold my foot on the gas to get it to idle with the maf plugged in. If I start it with the maf unplugged it'll idle at 800, but still miss. I plug it back in, and idle drops to about 4-500. The only codes were evap purge(fixed), and maf(tried 3 different ones). I can smell gas in the car when I drive, and I have a pretty bad exhaust leak at the pass. side manifold. I'll fix the leak tomorrow to see if that helps, then I'm gonna check the fuel pressure. I just don't know...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts