TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced a worn vacuum line and all the intake manifold gaskets last week. To do this, I pulled the distributor and the spark plug wires without marking them, thinking it was easy enough to install them back with the proper firing order and a timing light.
Now the car won't idle anymore and I hear popping sounds in the exhaust, as if the timing is completely off.

I've already checked TDC and compression on cilinder 1 by placing my thumb on the spark plug hole and had someone rotate the crank shaft, set the timing mark on the balancer to 0°, installed the distributor with the #1 marking facing the driver position, installed the spark plug wires according to the firing order on the sticker under the hood, pulled the SPOUT connector and set the timing to 10° BTDC.
I've checked the firing order and timing at least three times and even tried the firing order of a non-HO version just to be sure the camshaft wasn't replaced with a different one by the previous owner. Still no luck.

Anyone any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
482 Posts
Could be a limp mode and disconnecting the battery for a minute might reset that after you set the timing. I never actually set my timing. It was done once when the Cobra intake went on my engine.

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
I would help if I could, but I know nothing about the 5.0 cars.

It's been years since I saw a distributor.

What does the timing go to with the spout connector connected?

Does it help to turn the distributor slightly? (I used to do this while it was running on the old Tbird, but there were Points inside it, lol.)

·
Super Moderator
4,941 Posts
My first guess is that you may be 180* out ... Did you verify it was TDC on the compression stroke, and not the exhaust stroke?

Grog6 - it disables all advance when you pull the SPOUT connector, which allows you to set the static timing. Factory is 10* before, but I've heard of folks running up to 14* to 16* before in order to get a bit more oomph out.

RwP

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the problem! I had another vacuum leak under the intake manifold. Thanks for all the advice.

BTW, does anyone know why there are 2 hoses running to the PCV valve?

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
I believe it aids in oil control from the PVC,the more the oil has to travel the less chances it will get to places it doesn't need to be,i think in the early days they only had one hose and then went with 2, blowby on these motors is a problem sometimes,the intake on these motors have a plate under the PCV valve (inside the intake) to minimize the oil the PVC can pull by design,some intakes came with longer plates (the good ones) the not so good have a short plate and let more oil into the PVC so i think on those they put 2 hoses.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts