TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting close to installing a new 347 in my 93 SC and need to upgrade the ignition system before the turbo is installed. I have already had the 3.8 SC engine swapped to a 5.0 from a 91 Tbird LX and everything under the hood is pretty much identical to the 91 LX.

I've done a search and couldn't determine if the distributor and coil is tbird specific or if any 302 EFI distributor and coil will work.

I was planning to order the following parts, but wanted to make sure they were correct.

MSD Pro Billet Dist # 8456
MSD Coil #8227
MSD 6AL ignition #6420
Harness #8874

Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
You will want the 8455 distributor, other than that you should be good though.

John

·
Super Moderator
3,615 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you are using fuel injection. If so, then the 94-95 Mustang part numbers for distrubutor and coil/cap will work from MSD. They are very nice.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Madd, Dode, yall took the words out of my mouth.

Everything is right on.

Chris

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It all sounds good, but knowing you have more in mind than getting grocers in your Bird, you may want to move up from the 6AL to the Digital 6 Plus. It is full digital control like the 7AL series are. It has a FULLY adjustable 2 step, start retard, and a adjustable peak rpm retard that can be used with boost or nitrous. The spark with it and the HVC II coil is MUCH hotter than the 6AL I started testing the gap on mine at .075, and it jumps that like .030 on a standard ignition, so just left it at that. Should handle boost well with .045 gap. It cost about $100 more than a 6AL, but with the built in adjustable 2 step, start retard, peak retard, and a spark like lightning, it's worth it.

It is a little bigger than the 6AL. Here it is in mine, when installing last month.

The low RPM control wire is run to my brake lite switch wire and line lock.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the quick replies, I knew you guys would have the answer.

392Bird,

It's funny that you mentioned using the Digital 6 over the 6AL , because HP (turbo company) suggested doing the same thing. Do I have to use the same coil you did or can I get one that mounts in the stock location. Part numbers would also be helpful.

Thanks, David

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
The HVC coil adds a lot to the package, 48,000 volts @ 2 amps! I moved it around the engine trying to find a place for it to mount, and it's just too big. The coil is part # 8253 and the 6 Digital Plus is 6520. This coil is new, and not listed in all catalogs.

I will be moving my Digital 6 box to a shelf I am making that will be where the air distribution box was, and mount to the firewall and dash at the glove box. The inside of the glove box has also been removed also. This will allow the MSD box to be accesed by opening the glove box door. Any other controls will go here also. I will install a multi pin connector that will allow easy removal of the box during any welding on the car.

For a car that will see any seroius strip use, this setup is a great choice.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It's not going to see much strip use, but I do need an ignition strong enough to support 800 rwhp. I'm not sure where I'll mount my ignition box, but I need to keep the passenger side fender area open to allow room for the turbo and related piping.

Does the Digital 6 ignition require me to add a crank trigger ?

Thanks for the info.

BTW, does anyone know the part number for a set of Taylor or MSD wires (red) for this same engine.

David

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Get the custom set and do them yourself. It is easy, and the only way you will get them right.

John

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
No crank pickup needed. I am running mine off the magnetic pickup in my distriutor. All it requires is :

1. Direct fused connection to the battery + and -
2. A wire connected to a 12 volt source with key on.
3. Two wires from the distributor.
4. Two wires to the coil.

If using the low rpm limiter as a 2 step, a wire connected to the brake lite switch circuit.

This is how it is on my non computer controled engine. It will be only slightly different for computer control cars.

Here is detailed instruction for the Digital 6 Plus install:
http://www.msdignition.com/pdf/MSD_Digital_6.pdf

Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts