TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok boys, i have quite the decision on my hands. And i normally make the wrong decisions, and don't think of it much.

Ok, heres my problem, my car is blowing up on me. My struts are shot, my tie rods are shot, about 4 different leaks, rear end is gonna blow, some rust on the body, and the interior isn't all that great, and my breaks are seized on, dash is messing up, and possibly cruise control.

I need to get the struts fixed, its starting to piss me off, i will shoot myself if i hear them squeak any more.

Its only a 3.8L NA so its not really that fast, and i can't really squeal the tires, and i want to go fast, like 170+ which my car doesn't really do.

Heres what i got. I can either fix this car, or sell it and wait until a can find a 4.6L cougar. I love my cougar, and it was my first "real" car, and i have alot of memories in this car. I've put on 12,427 miles since i've purchased it in the end of december, so thats alot of road trip memories.

Most of you are saying, wow, alot of things wrong with that crappy car of his, but i also installed a new tranny, and new tires, and engine rebuild, so it doesnt burn oil.

Heres the decision, sell it or fix it.
What do you think?

p.s. Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have about 1k give or take, mostly take. not all needs to be fixed right now.

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
You have to sit down then and prioritize, and then think of the stuff you can accomplish yourself.

Make up a parts list, and then list prices; go from there. Sound good to you?

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, the only reason i would get the new car, nicer looking interior (the new design) and the V8!!!!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I say keep it and fix it to stock (depending on the rust and how bad the interior it). Just repair it, and drive it like a non-performance car. This is also assuming you can do the maintenance yourself. Anytime you have to farm out labor, vehicle repair can get expensive!

If you want to go 170+ mph you shouldn't even be looking at the MN12 as a platform (unless you have deep pockets).

As long as you're smart and shop around and don't go for the "goodies", the MN12 platform can be a rather inexpensive car to own/maintain. But you have to hold keep yourself away from the "Well, since I have to buy new x's, I might as well go with the performance version..." mentality.

Yeah, I know that's hard!!! :beek:

But that is just my opinion. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well, i do want to underdrive pully it, and split port, that'll get me about 40hp.. i hope... but maybe i'll just keep it, and fix it. The body isn't that bad (there are picts on here somewhere). there is only 1 hole in the car. the rest i can attempt to fix myself.

And not 170+Mph (i'm canadian, lol) i mean km/h so about 105mph

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
And not 170+Mph (i'm canadian, lol) i mean km/h so about 105mph
LOL!! I didn't catch that! :thumbsup:

But yeah, I'd say fix it for now and get it nice and reliable. Then later down the road decide if want to try for power out of the 3.8L or get a V8. :D

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol, but i dont want to put alot of money into this one, that i could put into a new car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dude fix it, i wish a had a new tranny.. i have the ford version of your cougar, and trans flushes arent' helping it anymore.. oh well i knew it was coming.. later..

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya, i think thats where i'll go for. Sure, i have a brand new tranny, but it leaks, and i doubt the tranny place is going to swap out my converter. my dad mostly thinks i should keep it because the sorta new engine, and it doesnt burn a drop of oil. said thats quite lucky for a car this age. I should beable to do the body work mself, my fender wasn't that bad. tie rods i'll attempt, my new struts, ya, the repair shop can do that.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
oh, heres a awesome update, car now leaks gas from the gas tank, and theres another leak somewhere hitting something hot going ssssss.

stupid car!

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, feels like gas is coming straight from the hose, i could be wrong, and hopefully your right... please let you be right...

the leak is on the passenger side, towards the front of the car. i can't tell where its coming from

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Gas leak sounds like it might be from the gas filter(located under passenger floor board). Could be as simple as checking your connections. Im guessing the rust is in the rockers? because that is the most common place on these cars for rust but from what I've seen its very repairable. Id say keep it, is the tranny still under warranty? if so tell them to fix the leak, if not get an estimate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts