TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, my wifes 2002 Taurus is acting up.
We are getting random misfires, and gas mileage has gone down.

I have replaced the fuel filter, plugs, wires, cleaned the MAF.

It finally threw some codes yesterday, being P0301, and P0316.
The first code is cylinder 1 misfire, and the second code was not in my book.

The plugs when they came out were a whiteish color, indicating to me, we are getting a lean condition.

I am going to try a few more things this evening, but, kind of at a loss as what to look for next.

Can someone give me an idea what to check?

In the past I have replaced the DPFE, EGR vaccum solenoid, cam position sensor, and I think thats it.(none of these were related to the problem I am having now).

·
High-Mileage 4.6L Thrasher
3,232 Posts
P0316=Misfire Detected On Startup (First 1000 Revolutions)

I'd say yiou've got an issue with either the coil pack system,or the injector. That thing uses that "6-pack" coil pack,right?
JL

·
3,232 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll bet that it's the coil pack.
JL
I found a way to check the primary and secondary resistance online.....will checking those help to see if its bad?
Like, if the values I come up with are greater or lesser than what is posted, will that indicate a bad coil?
I also read that it could be a vacuum leak related issue.

I did recently change the overflow bottle on the car, but where its at, there is nothing that I could have pulled off, or damaged in the process.....but than again, maybe I did.

·
3,232 Posts
I found a way to check the primary and secondary resistance online.....will checking those help to see if its bad?
Like, if the values I come up with are greater or lesser than what is posted, will that indicate a bad coil?
I also read that it could be a vacuum leak related issue.

I did recently change the overflow bottle on the car, but where its at, there is nothing that I could have pulled off, or damaged in the process.....but than again, maybe I did.
I fought a failing coil pack for about 2 years on my old '98 F150. It was next to impossible to diagnose,and only when I just broke down and changed BOTH coil packs on that truck did I fix the misfire issue. I tossed both coils-I never was able to isolate which one was at fault.
JL

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, the coil was the main thing giving all the random misfires.
But, plugs and wires seemed to help as well.

Next up, tranny fluid and filter!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts