TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 97 T-Bird LX. 4.6L V8 with 102,000 miles on it. Had new plugs and wires put on it 2 months ago, changed the fuel filter two weeks ago. Cleaned the MAF sensor today.

Now to the problem. I began noticing about 3 to 4 weeks back that my car was doing a bit of a shuddering/stumbling deal under light acceleration - city driving anywhere between 25-40mph. My first thought was bad gasoline, so I put some dry gas in her and topped her off. Didn't help the matter. Changed the fuel filter thinking maybe there was a clog, didn't help. Cleaned the MAF, didn't help.

I've been digging around to see what the issue is and I'm seeing a ton of possibilities. The car has a lean code on bank #7 I believe if I recall correctly. Some said it could be carbon build up and to clean the throttle body. Some said it could be the classic TC locking issue. I put some trans treatment in the car a few weeks ago which didn't help. Some said it could be a coil issue.

So at this point I'm trying to figure out which way to go first. Should I target the engine so more or should I target the transmission? I'm in school quite a way from home with limited tools and funds, so I quess I need some opinions from you guys. Where should I start to get this problem solved with as little pain as possible. Perhaps a tranny fluid/filter change or a good spray down with throttle body cleaner? I don't know when or if that has been done prior to my owning the vehicle in 2008.

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
How many miles does the transmission fluid have on it, and what color is it?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Tranny fluid is red. Doesn't look burnt or smell funny. Dunno how many miles are on the fluid.

Odd thing is that it runs great WOT from a stand still and has no issues running 65-80 on the interstate.

·
Registered
50 Posts
What kind of spark plugs were used? I'm new to the Ford thing but I think I read somewhere that these engines are touchy with aftermarket spark plugs.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ran a scan.. got the codes P0172 and P0175. That narrows down the issues quite a bit. It's running rich or lean on both banks 1 and 2. Could be injectors, MAF, ignition, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
Change out the front o2 sensors (or use a scan tool to see if they are switching), and make sure you don't have vacuum or exhaust leaks. If they're stock, you need a set anyway. :)

Propane is way safer than the alternatives, although we are talking about spraying a combustible gas into the engine compartment, lol. Propane burns slower, and gives you more time to move.

And you get to see if your plug wires are leaking, lol.

·
Registered
975 Posts
I put some trans treatment in the car a few weeks ago which didn't help.
There's hundreds of snake-oil fixes like the lubeguard that wont do anything for your trans. If its shuddering then Dr Trannys instant slip fix actually works -- I have it in my car.

Given the codes I would be inclined to side with Master486 on this one...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Changed coil packs. Rich codes no longer a problem. Had a misfire issue develop on cylinder 3, changed the spark plug, no more problems as of yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts