TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My service engine soon light came on yesterday and I hooked up my Auto Tap and got this code P1443 and it says Emmision Control System. It felt like my car was running fine so I turned of the light and am waiting for it to do it again. In the mean time what does that code mean.

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
according to old forum........

http://oldforum.tccoa.com/view.php?bn=tccoaforums_generaltech&key=1022823941&pattern=P1443+

"Code P1443 is a Ford code for:

EVAP Canister Purge Valve(mechanical) or VMV Fault.

After reading the shop manual it says it can be caused by a faulty
EVAP purge valve ($40) or the Purge Flow Sensor ($18).
I took my valve off, hooked it up to 12 volts and it moves so I am
going to try a new sensor. These are both located below/behind the passenger headlight. (fun to get to).

As for clearing the code, I have to clear mine every time I drive it.
There have only been a handfull of times the light stayed off while driving.

Let me know if you find anything out, I will update aswell. "

·
Registered
3 Posts
Got the same code on my '97 TBird about a month ago.

Basically the EVAP system relieves the fuel tank pressure and routes the vapors to the engine to be burned.

On mine the $38 EVAP valve was bad, part number 9C915. Replacing this can be done without removing the right front passenger wheel and splash guard, I did it. My wrists now look like I tried to relieve lifes' pains.

You should replace the vacuum hose connected to this valve as well. The size I used is 5/16". You won't need much, the two pieces are each about 3 inches long.

Disconnect the positive cable from the battery first, there is an electrical connector on this valve.

The EVAP sensor is cheaper, $16 and easier to get to.

FYI: I drove my car for almost two weeks before I replaced the valve.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I checked the complete vacuum line and replaced all the rubber connectors, tested the solenoid (apply 12V, solenoid goes open, normal-state is closed), and finally replaced the sensor ($18). Code is gone... Hooray!

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had that code pop up about a year and a half ago. I pulled the vacumn line, and elec. plug, reconnected everything, and it just went away. Never came back... Go figure... I think it was a loose vac line.
But, yeah- good luck getting to it.:rolleyes:

Peter

·
Registered
353 Posts
hey bmac

hey bmac,

you have a code reader for your t-bird? i thought that there were no code readers for 97 4.6L t-birds on the market. could you please give me a bit of info regarding this (where to buy, how much, are they any good, are there alternative readers, etc.)

thanks,

stan

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey Stan Auto tap is a good one but its a lot of $$$ I went with this one...

OBD II Automotive Diagnostic

You can download the software for free and the hardware is only $80.00 (unless you need to buy a laptop) I havent had a problem with the system yet and its real fun to play with!:D

·
Registered
204 Posts
bmac that site is awesome, I was working on writing my own code and I had even found the white papers on the protocol, and the RS232 adapter to port it to my laptop.

Site has a lot of info, the inteface is cheap and they are really helpful. I'm going to buy the kit just to have around, and to play with of course... probably help in my own creation.

·
Registered
353 Posts
thank you

thanks for the info bmac.

since i'm really cheap i'm going to make the hardware myself. i'll let you know how it turns out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts