TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi yhere, this is my first post, i recently picked up my 97 and had a question about the suspension.The car is in great shape only had an emisson issue and thanks to this site i fixed that. The car needs pretty much all new bushings and the struts are shot. My car is really low, i was parked next to another bird the other day and its way lower. What i need to know is if i buy oem struts will it raise the the car? Is there a way i can know if they are lowerng springs by measuring? Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
4,925 Posts
First off, the struts you have on the front of the car? Are strut rods. The shocks and springs are NOT a MacPherson Strut.

If you use a set of Monroe EZ-Struts (groan!), then you'll also replace the springs, and that should help pick it back up if it's either had lowering springs installed, or if the current springs are collapsing.

When it comes to parts for the suspension - check the suspension thread. Most parts you can use Moog or TRW parts, but there are a few that should be Ford only. Except if you need new bushings for the strut rod to frame bushings - since they're not available, DLF makes replacements for you.

RwP

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
If your stock suspension is shot, then the answer is yes buying new suspension will raise the height of the car to stock height.

If you are unsure of what you have, I suggest counting the coils from what's on the car then going to any local auto parts store and looking at a stock one if they have them in stock that is. If you can't do that, let me know since I know mine is stock I will count the coils for you. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,253 Posts
The Monroe "quick struts" (again, they're coilover shocks, not struts), at about $130 each side, are the cheapest, easiest, most time effective way to get the car back to stock ride height. If you have plans on lowering the car or otherwise, you'll need to look into assembling the coilovers from shocks and springs sold separately.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! Thanks for quick responses...I like how low it is, so i guess i will count the coils and see what im looking at, sucks though, the lugs on my ride are locking and i got lucky and my buddies key fit them, but he just sold his car and the key went with...Oh well, not plannng on ding this till febuary anyways...Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
12,024 Posts
If the springs are black they're probably cut stock springs.

If the springs are light red they're probably Tokico drop springs.

If the springs are dark red you're really lucky you've probably got a set of the Vogtland drop springs.

Have you looked at them to see if there are any identifying marks on them?

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Another Phoenician west side or east? I have both examples of stock Lx and uncut sport springs on the west side.

Wouldnt surprise me if they were cut sports LOL. Wouldnt surprise me if they were cut LXs or even another spring from another car :) Haha

GO motorcraft on the front control arms uppers and lowers. Thats the best for it. I bet the suspension being shot lowers the car a little but more commonly its a cut spring and lower profile tire. DO you have the same stock sized tire on?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When i had to fix the emission issue i had the wheel off, the shock was black and appeared stock, the car has 17" low profile tires on it. West side phoenix 107th ave and indian school.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
First thing I did was replace the stock locking lugs with plain wheel nuts on both the '92 and the '95.

If I didn't have the key nut to them, I'ld get them off fast. Use a special socket that's cut like a female "easy out" if need be.

·
3,868 Posts
When i had to fix the emission issue i had the wheel off, the shock was black and appeared stock, the car has 17" low profile tires on it. West side phoenix 107th ave and indian school.
Wait O minute!!!!

Is that on the north east side of hte corner in Villa De Paz or on the north west side behind brothers pizza?

Yeah I live in Villa Da Paz LOL

Illa De Paz as I like to call it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I live at 103rd abd indian school in the apartments on 103rd, well im glad to know there is someone herw in the neighborhood, we will have to get together sometime.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Yea you're literally blocks away from Splattered, he does a lot of work on my Bird when I'm in the valley.

CrystalPistol is right, get those lugs off and replace them asap. Think about it, I know you don't plan on doing the suspension right away but what are you going to do if you get a flat?

·
3,868 Posts
I live at 103rd abd indian school in the apartments on 103rd, well im glad to know there is someone herw in the neighborhood, we will have to get together sometime.
Which ones east or west side? Yeah I know those I ride around on my bike and have ridden through both apts.

Blueeyes is right youre 1 minute from me. Well 'ell 4 years on this dang site and finally someone down the block from me.

Im off of 106th and cambell I drive a 94 bird with primer on the hood and fender.

·
3,868 Posts
East side, ive been here on and off for the last 10 years.[/QUOT

Cool I know those look like a place Id live and have lived in. There used to be cops swarming that place a few years ago but it looks real calm and chill now. Anyway

if you need some car help you can give me a call. 6232155930 dont text I dont have unlimited texting. Im not on the level of some senior members here but if something is not working or your car wont start I can take a look. I dont always hear my phone either so just leave a message. Id like to meet up when the time is good for you, Id guess which bird is yours but there are so many still in the area.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool, i just left you a message, give a ring anytime, i work from 2pm till whenever i get off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts