TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

soliciting opinions here. The bird needs a new transmission.

A) How much should I expect to pay for a quality rebuild that I wont be redoing anytime soon? Also, do you know of anybody in Pensacola FL area that can do the work that you trust.

B) Would it be better to get a used trans from something else and just install it and go?

C) Should I just say screw it and put in a 5 speed out of a Mustang GT?

Thanks guys,

Jamie

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had Alan over at Dirtydog put a 04 mustang gt in my bird. It works well. You may want to see if he\'ll help you on any thing you want to change as he is the real deal.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,525 Posts
Cheapest and easiest would be to go with an identical unit from a 94 or 95 MN12. A used trans from another MN12 will probably cost $200-$400, depending on the yard and the condition. Is it the best route? No. 94 and 95 transmissions are junk.

02-04 Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Town Car transmissions are popular because they still have a speedo gear with the typical type of owners they have, usually the transmissions see more gentle use compared to those from a Mustang. For an extra hundred or so bucks you can get one of these and have a transmission that will more than likely outlive the car.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Starting out with my POS 96 4r70W & doing all labor myself I spent about $2K - That's what it takes with new D/D TC & Cooler & all the typical hard parts & soft parts & electrics & Main VB Mods needed to end up with a great Tranny when starting with a 96 - I don;t think any older 4r70w Tranny is worth rebuiding & you can certainly make a case even I should have gone with newer Unit.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I do this for people all the time. I like to buy the newest transmission I can get then swap the a few non wear components from the old transmission. Repin the harness for the new style wiring and use a new tcc solenoid. If you are after performance gains a better converter and valvebody mods will make impressive changes.
Alan

1 - 7 of 7 Posts