TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and girls I need your input on what I should do to my '92 Ford t-bird. I already had a Flowmaster exhaust put on her. I plan on painting her black when I get the money. But I need more suggestions on what I should do to her. If you have any ideas feel free to share.:)

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, on a budget... I would get some gt40 heads (not gt40p), a ford racing E303 cam and a 94/95 cobra upper lower intake and TB and call it fast ;) I'd also try and find some headers to open up the exhaust end of things.

If you don't want to tear into it that much, try some 3.73 or 4.10 rear gears and a quality shift kit. The gears will increase the smile factor by quite alot.

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
I've got some for sale.

They moved the spark plug just a bit to make them better (worked) but it makes exhaust headers a bit tricky. I was going to use the stock Exploder units but they are the ugliest things you have ever seen.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I've got some for sale.

They moved the spark plug just a bit to make them better (worked) but it makes exhaust headers a bit tricky.

It might make exhaust headers "a bit tricky" for mustang guys, but for us, it makes headers next to impossible. No one makes a GT40p header for MN12s. However, Dode has taken the time and expense to verify that the MAC MN12 headers will work with the GT40p heads (he says its a rather tight fit, so changing sparkplugs and wires should be even more fun than normal).

As far as ideas for your car, before I even touched teh 5.0L, I would get myself a shift kit, some gears, a chip, and new exhaust... that'll give her a nice kick in the pants. Then, after that, I would look into some engine work. I know its tempting to dive right into the motor first (I did), but I can tell you that I probably saw more of a difference with gears and exhaust than I did with the headers or Cobra intake I installed. The truth is that the stock E7 heads sorta blow, and until you can replace them with something better, there doesnt seem to be too much gain to be had in the motor. And even then, you'll want to have the mods I mentioned above in place already, so I suggest starting there :)

·
Registered
7,070 Posts
It might make exhaust headers "a bit tricky" for mustang guys, but for us, it makes headers next to impossible. No one makes a GT40p header for MN12s. However, Dode has taken the time and expense to verify that the MAC MN12 headers will work with the GT40p heads (he says its a rather tight fit, so changing sparkplugs and wires should be even more fun than normal).

:)
It was even tricky in the F150 I was putting them in. It is the slightest change but makes a big difference.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What is your budget?
Well, right now I'm paying like 90 something a month for a cell phone bill, 30something every other week for gas, money for food, and saving money to pay off my loan for school. Sometime this summer my parents are having a huge garage sale and I have a crapload of stuff to get rid of, so hopefully I'll make some money there. Hope that helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
Well, right now I'm paying like 90 something a month for a cell phone bill, 30something every other week for gas, money for food, and saving money to pay off my loan for school. Sometime this summer my parents are having a huge garage sale and I have a crapload of stuff to get rid of, so hopefully I'll make some money there. Hope that helps.
Well, not exactly. Typically when someone asks about your budget regarding a car build they are not asking what you are spending to live but what you intend to spend on the car.

So, let me clarify; what is your budget that you have set to spend on the car?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Guys,

All this valuable info is just one of many reasons why I like it here. I recently purchased a set of 3:73s and a heavy duty trac loc to upgrade my 3:08s and was debating over weather to start modding the engine or drive train first. IE what would yield the most noticeable difference. This answered my question, and I didn't even have to ask! :D Gears, trans, and exhaust are going to be my first 3 mods. Thanks all for the info!:)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, not exactly. Typically when someone asks about your budget regarding a car build they are not asking what you are spending to live but what you intend to spend on the car.

So, let me clarify; what is your budget that you have set to spend on the car?
I just spend money on what needs to be done to the car depending whether I have the money or not. :zdunno:

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
I just spend money on what needs to be done to the car depending whether I have the money or not. :zdunno:

not an overly intelligent way of going about things. It'll get you into one sort of trouble or another pretty quick.

At anyrate, you asked for ideas for mods, Martigan asked for your budget (ie, how much dough you have waiting for said un-named projects) so he could give you ideas that fall within it.

So, when asked "whats your budget like?" The answer is not "whatever it costs to do XYZ." The answer should have 2 decimal places, and maybe a dollar sign in front of it if you feel like it. If you can't be that specific, maybe offer some sort of range (ie, 700-800)

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'd suggest shift kit and trans cooler as the very first mod you try. For the most seat of the pants for your buck the 3.73 gears will wake your car up. If you're handy the shift kit, fluid and filter will run you around $150, if you need an install look at another $250+/-.

Gears, parts $200+/- and install $2-400+/-.

They are worth saving for. A K&N filter, under drive pulleys or some other small bolt ons are not worth it at this stage of the game.

As stated before, the 40p heads w 40p headers will not fit without a lot of adjustment to your engine bay.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not an overly intelligent way of going about things. It'll get you into one sort of trouble or another pretty quick.
You know how to make a person feel real stupid in fornt of others:mad:. I'd have to say my budget range for right now is anywhere from $100-$300 for right now, but I'll be working a lot over the summer, which then my budget will probably be more around $400-500.

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
You know how to make a person feel real stupid in fornt of others:mad:. I'd have to say my budget range for right now is anywhere from $100-$300 for right now, but I'll be working a lot over the summer, which then my budget will probably be more around $400-500.

Sorry about that, I was overly agravated with alot of things things that week, and generally PMSing. So again, apologies for picking this thread to let it seep out in.

At anyrate, if I had a new 5.0L Tbird and $100-$300 to mess with, I would personally look into a shift kit and tranny cooler first. I know it doesn't sound too exciting, but in all honesty, the mods that stick out in mind so far have been the ones relating to the drivetrain. If I recall correctly, the trans-go kit is somewhere around $100??? You should be able to find it on summit, as well as a tranny cooler. After that, maybe start looking into an electric fan and a 180* thermostat? Some new gears would be nice, but those are going to cost a little more.

The other guys might have some other ideas.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Is this a daily driver? How long have you had the car? Anything that makes your daily driver more reliable is top priority. Take a good long look at the car mechanically. Their are how to's on checking most things here or one of the other boards. How's your tool inventory? Do you have the basics, sockets,wrenches, ....hammers ;). What about manuals? Look at the factory ones, you may have to dig a little. The Haines series of manuals are often purchased first. That's what I did.

Making your ride stop is as important as making it go, gee this sounds sooo old. How many times has this been said here :rolleyes: . Check your tires daily. Make it a habit to do a walk around before going anywhere the first time during the day. Once in awhile pull the wheels and visual the brakes. Keep it written down when you changed them or had them worked on, how many miles are on them.
Go to places on the web like automotive.com or lemonauto.com look up the recalls and the problems your model has had. My sisters 95 Tbird eats brakes like no tomorrow. So it pays to look.

I think that if you look at the car hard enough you'll find $2-300 worth of stuff to do just to make it more reliable before you ever get to mod ding it.

A couple of other thoughts while mod ding. Make sure you have another source of transportation before you start. Sometimes the best laid plans go awry and your ride is down for a few days that you hadn't planned on. That's a positive outlook. It could be weeks! :eek:
If at all possible get a friend to help in person. Fresh eyes and extra hands can be handy at least, and if experienced, essential.

Good luck to you and post pics., when you make progress.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.