TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Basically, I am looking for a factory turbo'd car that I can find relatively cheap, and have some fun with it by modding it and restoring it (depending on what car I get). so far, here is what I have narrowed it down to:

89-91 Probe GT (2.3l turbo)
89-91 Mazda mx6 DX (same as a probe GT)
90-92 Toyota MR2 Turbo

Any other cars that you guys can think of?

and I am basically looking to have an initial investment of $1500 or less (just for the car).

thanx in advance!

Shane

·
Registered
497 Posts
Get a 91-92 Nissan 300 ZX there stupid fast with the twin turbo dohc (the timing chain is a bi*ch to replace) I find them in my town for about 1200 to 2000 at the cheapest. There is tons of mods for them.

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
Geo sprint turbo, dodge spirit r/t turbo, sunbird turbo, dodge omni GLH/GLHS

I've seen the sunbird and spirit hand the smackdown to mustangs the omni might be out of the price range though
not joking

·
Registered
88 Posts
go for the MR2

I have a guy here that's building one up, apparently the parts are cheap and they make a 5-valve head for it. If you can't find all of the pistons to match it, just get one in reasonable condition and have it copied (a bit more expensive, but you'll have a new set). My friend got that head from Africa (I think) dirt cheap and it has individual throttle bodies for each cylinder. There's a stroker kit to turn the 1.6L engine into a 1.8. I think the same block can be found on some old geo prisms (this is what I was told, since Toyota and GM shared some parts in those days) and it has oil squirters stock. If you want, I can ask the kid some questions for you. Supposedely the engine is also easy to convert to a DIS using the MegaSquirt computer (if you don't know about Megasquirt, search the internet...basically it's an ecu for your car that you can program in C++ and lets you tune on the fly with your laptop in the car, everyone I know that has switched their cars from a distributor ignition to a DIS uses this). If you want I can find out the name of a company that specializes in that 5 valve head and building up that motor.

I have two guys that built up their probes and they said they'd never do that again (too expensive and too many problems). One kid dyno'd his car at around 260whp (EDIT: I called the guy, I think this hp number I'm remembering is way too high...I'll change it when he calls me back) on 6psi, but he had a beefed up 2.5L (the 6-cyl). If you want something cheap that's already done, he's selling that car...it's already completed and he's got like a 9psi turbo on it now.

I also know someone selling a heavily modified volvo (the boxy station wagon one). He's running like 14psi, built up suspension, BMW trans., tons of parts from Europe, said it runs the quarter in the 14's. I've been in both those cars and the probe felt faster. I think they both want around the same price.

I think if you want cheap, fast, and easy...go for the mr2. The probes aren't worth the aggrivation when they run correctly, modifying that car doesn't help. I've never met a happy probe owner unless they were fooling themselves, except for one kid who's car is full of tv's.

EDIT: He didn't call me back yet, but I found this on the mx6 forums:
"...made 289whp and 259 lb-ft on 7psi with 2 bad fuel injectors and 21 degrees of timing. This is with almost the same engine I have as far as pistons/rods are concerned. He honed his own block so his cylinder compression was lower than mine by 40psi per cyl. So Im pretty sure I can make 300whp on 7psi w/ my low compression setup."

this is the thread: http://www.mx6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=142264

most of these guys build up the v-6 though

·
Registered
755 Posts
Probes really arn't that bad of cars. The only thing that sucks on them is the auto tranny, and the CV joints like to go bad. Other then that they are fun to drive. I had a 94 Probe GT, that thing cornered like a champ.

Other cars to look into though are an eclipse and the turbo coupe. Or theres the turbo mustang. I think that was in 85

for more probe info, go to www.probetalk.com

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
The turbo Mustang came out in 79 and I think it lasted till the rebirth of the GT in 82, unless you're talking about the SVO Mustang. That was 84-85. We had one back in 79, it was a fun car to drive though it didn't compete with the 79 RX7 (nonturbo) we had at the same time. I think it'd be fun to get an early Turbo mustang and install a Fox body Turbocoupe set up in it, (Basically what an SVO Mustang is) The early Mustang Turbos had a set up that had the exhaust running from the manifold on one side, under the engine and back up to the turbo/intake manifold on the other side.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
don't do the probe....The dodges weren't bad just keep a few turbo's in stock.
What do you have against turbocoupes..there's always a grand national :)

·
Jack of all trades, Master of none
600 Posts
Go check out turbofords forums in the for sale section. You should be able to find a Merkur or a turbocoupe fairly cheap. If you get lucky, maybe someone is selling their fox body turbo swap. May be a little more pricey, but the mid 80's SVO was cool.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Here's one you can find for that amount: 1989-1990 Pontiac Turbo Grand Prix. 3.1L V6, 205 horsepower--220 ft/lbs torque. Plenty of room for improvement!

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Another one people forget about is the Mitsubishi Starion/Dodge Conquest TSi. I know one of those spanked my 82 Mustang GT's arse "back in the day"... :redmad: :bawling:

But I'll also vote for the merkur xr4ti. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
conquest Tsi's are sweet too. There also pretty torquey arent they? 2.5l turbo right? i think ive seen like two of those cars ever.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
SVO Mustang for parts availability, XR4TI for uniqueness. Generally all the Merkurs you see for sale on eBay are two cars, LOL. They buy another one for a parts car, but get both of them running or leave the parts car 2% away from being a driver.

Personally and it doesn't fit your requirements, but I think a turbo Ranger/Pinto/Falcon is what I would do. Hey, wait, I have a Falcon...nah, that is getting a SC 3.8 or a 4.6 (yeah, likely staying a 5.0 car hahaha).

·
Banned
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hmmm, turbo coupe is an option, I totally forgot about those...DOH!

Ok, MR2 is a little pricey from what I have found so far
XR4Ti I have yet to find one close enough
conquest TSi....hmmmmmmm
Geo sprint turbo, dodge spirit r/t turbo, sunbird turbo <--forgot about all of those....

Ok, guess I'll be busy for the next day or tow. thank you guys for all the input, you just broadened my options. and infamous, I want a car to "play with", I don't want to buy someone elses work since that would be going 100% against the whole point of this thread. And I am not looking into making a track car, just looking for a car to have some fun with :D

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Kodiak kid said:
hmmm, turbo coupe is an option, I totally forgot about those
Oh, I thought since you didn't include something so obvious that you'd already ruled it out! Cool thing about a TC is all the guys on here who can share their experience and knowledge with you.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
id say go for a eagle talon AWD turbo. ive seen them pretty cheap on ebay. they may need a little body work but hey hats ok if it runs right. but id figure with the awd you couldput as many mods and get the hp up there and never worry bout traction. and the hole shot for those things is unreal ive heard. i talked to a guy runnin around 500 hp in one and he said you hit the gas and its very little if any wheel spin and he said you better have your head against that seat or you'll have whiplash. id like an eagel talon or a mid 90's eclipse. but i want the awd version.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts