TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Tbird (3.8L v6) is getting some miles on it now and Im driving it even more than I used to. 146k now. Ive had the head gaskets replaced already and the heads milled at around 120k miles but I know other parts are wearing and it wont last forever. Actually for the number of miles on it it still runs great but I need to think ahead.

Im no gear head and I cant work on it myself since Im in a wheelchair, I just need some suggestions on what to replace it with. Someone mentioned a Mustang 3.8L V6 Splitport. I see some people have used Vortec's. Im hoping to find something that is as bolt in friendly as possible. I plan on keeping the automatic tranny too which was just rebuilt and has a shift kit.

I dont need a quick quarter mile car and like the good gas mileage and handling of the car but would like something with a little more power. After it gets the motor and painted it will only be driven in the mountains once in awhile. I work for a place that can get me an engine I just need to be able to tell them exactly what I want. What kind of engine, year, and/or what it came out of originally.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
How about the 4.2L swap? It doesn't seem to be as labor intense as the swap to a 4.6L or 5.0, and would still give decent gas mileage. There's a sticky at the top of this forum that walks through what all is involved.

Just a thought

Jay

·
5,650 Posts
How about my engine? My 96 3.8L engine is for sale. It's got the improved heads that lessen the chance of head gasket failure and it's freshly rebuilt, less than 20k miles. Also has the factory headers which helped improve exhaust flow. I had it rebuilt, bored 0.030" over, decked the block and added FRPP roller rockers. The engine is very peppy and gets me upwards of 27 mpg on the highway. And best of all it's a direct bolt-in! Just use all your electronics and it's good to go.

·
Registered
142 Posts
um, what I think.

you could always go all out and go to super six motorsports and get new parts or check the link to coy miller engine development.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How about my engine? My 96 3.8L engine is for sale. It's got the improved heads that lessen the chance of head gasket failure and it's freshly rebuilt, less than 20k miles. Also has the factory headers which helped improve exhaust flow. I had it rebuilt, bored 0.030" over, decked the block and added FRPP roller rockers. The engine is very peppy and gets me upwards of 27 mpg on the highway. And best of all it's a direct bolt-in! Just use all your electronics and it's good to go.
Is it still available? Im getting nervous about my engine although i had the head gaskets replaced at around 110K. I know other things are wearing out.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A splitport engine would give you more power, little better gas mileage and a is direct bolt in.
Ok a few questions-

So a 3.8L Splitport out of like an 02 mustang?

Is the intake as high as on the 4.2L? I saw the guy who wrote the swap article had to cut a hole in his hood even with the Cobra R hood.

Can I use all my old computer stuff?

I imagine the acc's are all straight across bolt ins.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im not a expert about the swap but i think any 99 n up splitport can work. The mustang intake should fit under the stock hood and the computer should be tuned. v6power.net has more info on this.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
ripp everything out and swap in a GM 3.8 you can beat the **** out of thiose motors and they dont give up its one thing gm did right lol

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
ripp everything out and swap in a GM 3.8 you can beat the **** out of thiose motors and they dont give up its one thing gm did right lol
Except the leaky intakes.

·
Premium Member
1,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Send me a PM with the price, Im in Arizona so Im not too far away. Could probably pick it up. Dunno if I can really afford it right now though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts