TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 96 XR7 currently has motorcraft double platniums AWSF 32EE. This past weekend i went to get replacements and the plug he looked up had a different number. He sold me AGSF 32FM. I asked him why the new plugs had a different number. He said that the AWSF plugs went into a 95 cougar and the AGSF 's were for the 96 Cougar.

Can anyone confirm what the correct motorcraft double platnium plug number is that goes into a 96 cougar 4.6L?

Thanks

-hooD :thumbsup:

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
In the 1996 Service Manual, the listing says " USE AWSF-32P or AWSF-32PP." Check www.motorcraft.com - it lists the same numbers.

The AGSF number sounds like it goes into a newer truck or 1997+ Crown Vic engine....I see the Vin as 9 on those engines, as opposed to W for the Cougar/Thunderbird engines.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
IronChopz:

Thanks for the info...but i have one more question. Do you know how many foot pounds that these plugs should be torqued to?

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Glad to help, hooD.

Service manual states: Tighten spark plugs to 9-20 Nm (7-15 lb-ft).

Heh heh...I'm right up Telegraph Road from you...in Brownstown!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IronChopz:

While i'm picking your brain, here's another question for ya!

Ever since i had the tranny replaced/rebuilt (6 months ago) the engine hasn't idled as smooth. The trans shop went through the whole procedure and couldn't find anything wrong with their work. I disagree because the car went in with an extremely smooth idle. They did replace the TPS (throttle postioning sensor) to no avail however.

So, i'm thinking maybe there is a small vaccum leak somewhere, but i'm not sure where to start looking for it at. When they pulled the trans, what else is removed that is engine related?

I have already cleaned the IAC, MAF sensor, and i'm replacing the plugs this weekend. The air filter is clean (K&N) and the wires were replaced 3 years ago. The EGR went bad about 2 years ago and was replaced. Could that rascal need some cleaning/maintainence at this point?

There are 83,000 miles on this one owner vehicle.

The fuel filter is also replaced every 12 months. I keep my cat maintained, but i can't figure out this rough, fluttery idle. The engine runs extremely fast and strong without any missing and the MPG's are in the mid 20's. I'm puzzled, unless i have a soon to be fouled plug.

Well, i have rambled on enough, thanks for any input and its great to live downriver. I'm real near to superior ford.

One more thing, there is a buzzing/humming sound that you can hear from the rear seat area, leading me to believe that the fuel pump may be on it's last leg....what do you think? Thanks again!

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,916 Posts
Dr. Frankencougie informed me of this article a while back. I had the procedure done, and did a lot to improve the smoothness. It may be worth a try.

Regarding the hum/buzz you hear, I suppose it could be the fuel pump, but I am not versed in that at all, so you may want to pick someone else's brain on that! :D

Yes, downriver's a nice quiet place. I used to be in Bloomfield Hills, and driving to Dearborn/Novi/etc. was impossible to do without traffic jams.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts