TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the new xcalibrator 2 need to be burned? Because they say it comes with three tunes specifically for your vehicle.

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
molisher said:
Does the new xcalibrator 2 need to be burned? Because they say it comes with three tunes specifically for your vehicle.
There's a thread about this over on Modular Depot.

Md Thread

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
The XCals come blank to the dealers and are then programmed. The various advertisements including SCT's in the mags state 3 programs. This does not mean you get three programs with the purchase of the device. This means it has the capability to hold 3 performance programs not including the stock program. This has been discussed in the EEC section of this site a couple of times. And it has been brought up at SCT's own forum. It depends on the dealer/tuner as to how many programs will come in the device.

Some will give you 2 or 3 programs that are off the shelf type or SCT base files for a set low price. This means they are just for a stock vehicle and have the basic performance programming. NO changes for gears, injectors, pulleys, TC or anything else. Just like if you were to order a Hypertech or Superchips over the counter handheld tuner. So you have to ask the right questions when purchasing your device. People that have purchased these are then disappointed because they expected to get custom programming specifically to their vehicle and mods. There’s a difference between a base performance file and a custom performance file.

Then others are still offering the device at the introductory price with 2 custom programs. These sale prices are quickly going away and the set or average price is settling to 375 with a single custom program, additional programs at an additional price. A lot of people are now complaining about this thinking they should get multiple custom programs. But then you have to look at what you also get for that price. No other chip company is offering as much as SCT does in their handheld devices. I just compared the Diablo Predator’s data logging to SCT’s and the SCT covers a lot more than what they have.

As discussed in SCT’s own forum by the SCT employees, the device sells for a set price completely blank, normally somewhere around 375. Then the dealer or tuner decides what his time and custom programs are worth, that is added to the price. But during the pre order sales this price was driven down so the customers basically got free programs. So then the dealer/tuner is not getting paid for his or her time in building the various programs and programming the devices.

In order to use the Extreme Tuner software (Personal Tuning) you need to have the dealer/tuner send you your files converted to .xtr first. Then you can use the software with those files to make your changes and then program them into the device.

Soon you won’t need to use the Extreme Tuner software at all with the new software coming out. It will all be able to be done on the key pad of the device. The dealer/tuner sets up the parameters and values in the device. Additional parameters will be available also like MAFs and injectors at an addition cost.

·
Registered
9,966 Posts
Lonnie,

when will the updates allowing me to change injector sizes via the handheld me avialable?

thanks

joseph

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
MD and a few others that received the special training and are testing it now. There are still some bugs that need to be worked out. Once SCT is happy with it they will announce its release. I have no idea when that will be.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Need to be charged? dont read. go to burned one

does the new xcalibrator 2 have to be charged? because it says it comes with three tuning levels.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need to be BURNED?

does the new xcalibrator 2 need to be burned? because it syas it comes with 3 different tuning levels.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
There is a lot of misinformation out there on this.
The Xcal2 comes from SCT totally empty. The SCT dealer you buy it from is the one you deal with to decide what tunes and options you will purchase.
SCT had a misprint in their ad in the magazines and is doing their best to address it. The device does not automatically come with 3 tunes. The ad was supposed to say that it comes with UP to 3 tunes and has other optional capability for user adjustment on the handheld device. That comes straight from the people at SCT and there are a lot of discussions on it in other forums as well as SCT's own forum. It was a simple mistake that has caused a huge commotion.
Be wary of buying the device itself on placed like Ebay. A lot of people have gotten empty tuners and to get a tune from another dealer is going to cost you at least $100. The good dealers out there package the device with one or more tunes. The better dealers out there package it with tunes written specifically for you instead of the canned tune for your EEC code. There are also options to get some user adjustability on the device itself. Please note that these are all options and not included in the basic prices.
You get what you pay for.

Search Modular Depot and SCT and you will find what I am talking about.

Take care
Darrin

·
Administrator
14,211 Posts
Didn't I just move this thread to the right forum yesterday?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I didn't know that or I wouldn't even have replied to it. I see at least 3 of the same question from the same person about it.
Sorry

1 - 11 of 11 Posts