TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my old windows from my house I need to get rid of. They're just laying on the side of my house taking up space and beign potentially dangerous should they fall over.

I just want to break up the glass and dump it in my recycling bin, but I'm not sure how to cut it up without having glass shards everywhere. I'm thinking a glass cutter of some sort?

Ideas?

TIA

·
Registered
127 Posts
put it on craigslist or one of those facebook yard sale groups. guaranteed it will be picked up by the end of the week. you know what they say about one man's trash...

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
How "old" are your old windows?
When I replaced a few windows in my house in SF (1920s craftsman), someone was willing to pay real money for each of the pieces ($50 x 2 per window). Some wanted them for art projects, others wanted them for decoration as part of their wedding. I didn't care what they wanted them for as long as they brought cash.

Someone also bought our old ranch style (heavy cast iron) sinktop and this crazy heavy cement laundry sink.

Bottom line: as mangbangers says, your scrap could be someone elses treasure. Put it on CL (even with make an offer) and see what turns up.

If you just want to get rid of them, in the Bay Area we have several building materials places that specialize in used items. These places take donations. You might want to look for something similar in your area.

http://www.buildingresources.org/donations_inventory.html
http://urbanore.com/ecopark-store/shop/what-we-sell/
http://www.buildingresources.org/donations_inventory.html

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally, my father in law was going to take the windows for himself when we were pulling them out so he could build himself a small greenhouse. Unfortunately, two of the big windows broke during removal from my house and he no longer wanted them. I have three windows and a sliding glass door and they are all damaged. The only type of people I could imagine wanting these at this point is some sort of artsy person or someone who can re-purpose glass by cutting them and making smaller frames out of the ones I have.

I didn't think that part was important in my OP since my goal was to just dispose of the glass in my recycling bin so that it could be melted down and made into a glass jar for some strawberry jam I'll buy the next time I go to my grocery store.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Believe it or not, all of the recycled glass bottles in my area are smashed and buried in the land fill. I recently got rid of some sliding door glass when I laid it flat in my trailer and took it to the local dump, which was much simpler than breaking it into smaller pieces.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Originally, my father in law was going to take the windows for himself when we were pulling them out so he could build himself a small greenhouse. Unfortunately, two of the big windows broke during removal from my house and he no longer wanted them. I have three windows and a sliding glass door and they are all damaged. The only type of people I could imagine wanting these at this point is some sort of artsy person or someone who can re-purpose glass by cutting them and making smaller frames out of the ones I have.

I didn't think that part was important in my OP since my goal was to just dispose of the glass in my recycling bin so that it could be melted down and made into a glass jar for some strawberry jam I'll buy the next time I go to my grocery store.
I probably have two pieces of large glass ( slidng door ) in my yard if your In law wants to drive up here, he can have them for FREE, and build his green house.

Otherwise they are useless unless used for decoration - homes are built with double paned now.

When I need to get rid of a big piece of glass ( car window, etc ... ) I have these large sheets of plastic - they are actually body bags, so they have a pocket to catch any fluids, etc ... anyways, I wrap up the glass and break them, bag it up and throw it in the recycle bin. Just be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
...but I'm not sure how to cut it up without having glass shards everywhere...
Put it all on a large dropcloth, up against something easy to clean|repair|replace, and break it up with a 12ga Shotgun. :)

I'd use bird shot; it leaves Small Pieces that will fit the bin easily.

A shop vac gets all the loose stuff. :thumbsup:

It also keeps the neighbors on their toes, lol.

Explosives are always an option; how close to town do you live? :D

(j/k)

...- they are actually body bags, so they have a pocket to catch any fluids, etc ...
You can never have too many of those, I always say. :thumbsup:

However, I also say "I'm also happy you live a few thousand miles away, completely across the country." :)
Mostly to people in CA, somehow. :zdunno:
How Charlie keeps getting my phone number is creepy...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welp. Problem solved! Yesterday, some recyclers were cruising the neighborhoods and hit us up. They took all the window frames and left just the glass pieces. However, in doing so, they had to break off some of the glass to get it out of the frame. These pieces are now small enough to where they can be placed in my recycling bin for the city to pick up on my trash day. There's just one window left that's still in tact that needs to be broken up.

I probably have two pieces of large glass ( sliding door ) in my yard if your In law wants to drive up here, he can have them for FREE, and build his green house.

Otherwise they are useless unless used for decoration - homes are built with double paned now.
He doesn't drive. He has no car and his license has been revoked. He needs rides pretty much anywhere he goes that he can't get to with his bicycle. So, that's not going to happen.

That, and it doesn't help that we (my wife and I) have had a falling out with him the past several weeks only to be sealed with events last night that I'm not going to get into.

When I need to get rid of a big piece of glass ( car window, etc ... ) I have these large sheets of plastic - they are actually body bags, so they have a pocket to catch any fluids, etc ... anyways, I wrap up the glass and break them, bag it up and throw it in the recycle bin. Just be sure to wear safety glasses and gloves.
Well then, I guess I'll need to find myself a body bag then! LOL

Put it all on a large dropcloth, up against something easy to clean|repair|replace, and break it up with a 12ga Shotgun. :)

I'd use bird shot; it leaves Small Pieces that will fit the bin easily.

A shop vac gets all the loose stuff. :thumbsup:

It also keeps the neighbors on their toes, lol.

Explosives are always an option; how close to town do you live? :D

(j/k)
Well, there is that large field behind my neighborhood that I have easy access to. I just need to get a shotty and have some fun, lol.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
You can never have too many of those, I always say. :thumbsup:

However, I also say "I'm also happy you live a few thousand miles away, completely across the country." :)
Mostly to people in CA, somehow. :zdunno:
How Charlie keeps getting my phone number is creepy...
Im telling you, they work great - especially if youre doing a messy job. Like a transmission rebuild, or fluid change I mean. But seriously, if you want to dispose of a body all you need to do is switch the toe tag and they go into the incenerator. LOL, I know somebody who transports bodies for a living. Hey heres a fun fact: If you have a dead body in the vehicle it is not considered a passenger so you will get a ticket if you drive in the car pool lane - they are "furniture". :D

He doesn't drive. He has no car and his license has been revoked. He needs rides pretty much anywhere he goes that he can't get to with his bicycle. So, that's not going to happen.

That, and it doesn't help that we (my wife and I) have had a falling out with him the past several weeks only to be sealed with events last night that I'm not going to get into.

Well then, I guess I'll need to find myself a body bag then! LOL
Sounds like fun, been there done all that. In laws ... :rolleyes: If you ever care to share, im always down for a good story.

My only reason to use the thicker plastic sheets is to contain the mess. I have three kids here so I have to keep cleaning constantly. Somehow the wife always manages to find one random piece of broken safety glass and "its not safe" .. the plastic works much better for safety glass, that plate stuff breaks into some sharp pieces that slice through the bag - so I usually break it up inside the recycle bin after its broken small enough to fit in there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts