TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a laptop with win10 on it where the version of win10 that's on it doesn't match up with the product key. I'm assuming that the product key I have is for win10 pro but win10 home is what's installed. This is the first time I've attempted to install win10 from scratch (Though I've done PXE boot at my work, win10 install done in that manner is done through our SCCM server, but that's an entirely different install process).

What I want to accomplish is to do a fresh install of win10 using the product key I have and have my win10 install disk automatically pick up the version of win10 that the product key I have is associated to. However, after attempting to install win10 from scratch twice, I've never been asked to apply the product key and when going to the activate windows part, I see that the product key is already entered for me!

In doing some searching, I've come to find out that the product key becomes embedded into the BIOS should the system have a UEFI type BIOS, which this laptop does. What I haven't been able to figure out is how to "un-marry" the product key from the UEFI BIOS so that the installation process requires me to input a product key during the installation procedure.

The laptop in question is a Dell Inspiron 3558

·
Super Moderator
5,005 Posts
You know, you CAN chance the product key after install.

Plus, if you're using Dell media, there's a pre-set product key on the media not related to the tag on the unit.

RwP

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I downloaded the MSFT ISO / USB media installation tool to create an OEM ISO. I installed win10 and realized what happened. I deleted all the DELL recovery partitions as well since they'd be useless after using an OEM disc from MSFT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts