TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I need some transmission help. I posted in the trans forum, but need an answer faster than that forum gets looked at.

Long story short, the trans in the bird seems to be toast. I lost third, it grinds itself to a halt in D when it tries to shift into third, but I can still use first and second as advertised. Dont have the money for a rebuild right now.

Soooo, from what I am being told, the directional/one way clutches are shot. First question, does this sound right?

Second question: Will the trans from a 97 drop right in, or do I have to modify it. What about from a 2001 F150?

Thanks for the help guys, I am in a tight spot right now and am trying to not make too many waves while I am in school. as it stands, I am driving back and forth between NAS Pensacola and CID Corry Station in second gear to get back and forth to class. The wife has the Explorer in Illinois, waiting for us to close on a house, so I cant drive that while I wait to fix the bird, and my mom is sick, so my savings has pretty much gone to getting the house and taking care of her.

Again, thanks for any help/suggestions.

Jamie

·
5,650 Posts
To answer the second question, both a 97 and 2001 4R70W will work as long as it came from a modular motor. In both cases, if this is going in your 94 you will have to change the TCC solenoid and in the case of the 2001 you'll need to repin the harness as well or swap it with the 94 one. The 2001 will also require a different speedo gear as it has an 8-tooth output shaft instead of the 7-tooth in your 94.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
The lever on the truck transmission will have to be changed too as they have different linkage.

Oh... There is BIGGIE with the truck transmissions too. Make sure they are 2 wheel drive to start with if you want to use them in a car. VERY important.

Darrin

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah it is. (2wd) I am still debating on what to do. I am very frustrated with this whole situation at this point, I just dont have the time to deal with it when I have to drive the car every day.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts