TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey’
As I was Driving tonight in heavy Rain and had some problems with the Cold Air intake sucking up some water. Almost home I went true some water I had seen too late and the Car started stalling and shut off. I gave it a moment and after four attempts to jump the Car, all went OUT. I checked the Fuse in the engine bay what was good. After calling AAA and waiting I kept checking and found that the Negative Terminal from the Battery Melted away. I am Home now still waiting on AAA to tow the Car. I was tired of waiting and walked Home in the Rain with my 2 year old as the Police stopped and gave us a ride.:D
Home, back to the Car with a Jumper Cable (i have a dual setup and had the hope it would start but NOPE) and back Home again. Good people them Cop’s.
I had the Car in the Paint Shop last week again where they had to do some Welding. I checked the Positive Terminals before I drove home from there, but not the Negative. Could it be that the connector was lose a bit and caused the melting?
Could it be that the Water shorted something out? Let me know what ya’ll think!
Is 11:25PM now and AAA just Called. Need to get the baby Home.
11:55PM and the Car is Home.
Kind a scary to see how fast a Car could disappear.
Pic is comming!

-Maic

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pictures

Is still all wet from having the Trunk half open a few moments last night.

-Maic

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
spark Plug

Thats the first one i just pulled. guess i got to go and get some Oil, filter and new Plugs.

-Maic

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
and more

Just pulled the the air intake. Was full with water, like a cup full. On the bright side, the water spilled out where its not supposed too. Now i know i have a bad intake. And since y'all love pic's there is one more from the throttle body.

I am going to pull all the spark plugs like "96 4.6L CAT" says and somwhere on the .net they talk about draining the Oil.
I'm totally lost right now, so excuse my next question.
Could i stick a Heat Gun in the Throttle Body to get some moisture out? What are my options?
Thanks.

-Maic

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Whats next?
The oil is out and the first if seen, opening the drain plug was Water.

and then this

I took the vacuum and could suck out some water from two cylinders.

And NOW? Any ideas? Sell it? Defiantly cant afford a new Engine at this Time!

-Maic

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hydraulic Lock.

Back in what we call the "Flood of '85", a friend drove his '82 318 Gran Fury police car through a bunch of deep water and sucked in a load which stalled his engine. Used a wrecker to get it out.

No permanent harm to his car. They then just changed engine oil, removed plugs, turned engine with starter only (no ignition), new paper air filter, new plugs, and that was it. His engine stopped sudden like, he was at low RPMs creeping through water.

If it were me, I'ld try oil change (brown stuff is oil and water mix, but if allowed to sit water will seperate somewhat), remove plugs, (disconnect PCM now I guess), spin engine with starter to pump water out, vacum plug wells, new plugs or dry out old ones (they look OK), new air filter.

Water will not compress so once it get's ingested in sufficient quantity, the motor stops due to hydraulic lock. If a motor is turning fast enough, it can break parts. You have a hot battery there I see, your starter trying to turn a locked motor could put enough electrical load on it to melt the terminal, seen that happen too.

As to water in the oil, once had Pontiac GTO with a pinhole in the timing cover that allowed water from water pump to go into crankcase, started on a Friday. I fixed it with a new timing cover Monday, but I drove the car that weekend, several times I would just pull it on a lift at buddy's station, let it sit a few minutes, and open plug and drain the water and put the plug in when oil started coming out, top oil off, drive another hour or two cruising. I didn't run no body though, not like that. Had same thing happen to GF's Pontiac a few months later.

Not always a sign of "engine death". Good chance no permanent harm, except to that battery.

·
Super Moderator
10,578 Posts
Ring breakage is the big problem, or a broken piston...

I'd do a compression check, and see how it looks.

If anything is broken, you will know when you start it. :)

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Oh yeah, heat gun or wife's hair dryer won't hurt the throttle body.

When I started, the pictures didn't all show (I'm on dialup, pitty me) but now that they have .... yeah, oil looks as I'ld expect. Doesn't take a lot to do that.

After turning motor over and pumping water out, might do a compression check ... looking for some same levels on all 8. Let us hope no holes in any pistons. If no holes, I'ld say she's OK.

Edit ... I see Grog6 beat me to it ... but yeah .....

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for that input. I will turn the Engine over tomorrow and see if i get some more water out. I stuck a hose down the throttle body and sucked like 3 cups of water out of there.
The battery is already exchanged under warranty. I picked up 2 oil filters, Oil and a can of Seafoam.
Lets hope for the best. The Car stalled for like 8 miles on my way home before i hit
the bunch of water what gave it the rest.
I'm not so worry about the compression, soon or later the swap has to come. Just not right now.

-Maic

·
Registered
144 Posts
damn Maic, that really sucks man, sorry to hear :(

hope it cranks up. if you need any help let me know!!!

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Glad the both you ... and your two year old daughter made it home OK, many people don't realize how much a cop really enjoys helping someone in a jam.

Thanks for that input. I will turn the Engine over tomorrow and see if i get some more water out. I stuck a hose down the throttle body and sucked like 3 cups of water out of there.
The battery is already exchanged under warranty. I picked up 2 oil filters, Oil and a can of Seafoam.
Lets hope for the best. The Car stalled for like 8 miles on my way home before i hit
the bunch of water what gave it the rest.

I'm not so worry about the compression, soon or later the swap has to come. Just not right now.

-Maic
3 Cups, 8 miles ??????

I know y'all get some torrential downpoors in Florida .... but can I inquire what kind of cold air intake setup do you run? Not stock I'm guessing, but how modified?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts