TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it harmful for the trans to coast from speed to a dead stop in neutral?

Example: Going down a hill popping it in neutral,coasting to a red light, stopping completely, waiting for the light to turn green, popping the trans back in drive, driving away after it fully engages. Not reving up and dropping in it drive.

How about from speed to a 5-10mph roll in neutral.

Example: Coasting neutral to a red light, light turns before you come to a complete stop, dropping it back into drive.

How about from speed to speed?

Example: Getting up to desired highway speed,coasting in neutal down a hill on the highway, car slows below desired speed and dropping it back into drive.

All with the engine running of course.

Just wanted to know if any of these actions would be problematic. I assume a few of them are just don't know why. I would like to know the logic behind it. What gets damaged from these actions.

·
Super Moderator
10,416 Posts
As long as there's fluid flow, I think it's fine.

I wouldn't kill the engine (+ fluid pump) going down hills to save gas, lol.

Riding in first or second has addtional friction from the planetaries; in neutral, everything should be fine.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in... :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
The last mile to my families farm is down hill and for years with multiple different cars I have thrown it in N and coasted the rest of the way home all the way into my spot and turned it off. I've never had a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts