TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i wasnt sure where to post this and it isnt really for sale yet but whatever..

all of you guys that have had you 94/5 birds be nice to you.. well it must be nice.. out of the 4 tbirds ive had (89,93,95,96) this one is the worse.. ive never had so many problems with a car ive owned... i hate to say it but my 96 blazer didnt cause me this many problems and cost me so much money..

going for a job interview today.. stopped to get some gas, walked in, payed, pumped the gas, and sat down , turned the key.... nothing... tryed it a few more times and the best i could get out of it was a single turn of the motor.. ive been bangin on the starter all week to get it to start so this wasnt completely unexpected.. just the wrong damn time to do it. get the new starter in.. and it starts right up.. only to blow oil all over my left ankle.. shut the car off and crawl under it and theres a huge hole in the top of the oil filter.. WTF!?!.. ive got the oil filter sitting next to me on my desk.. i just have yet to do it.. any one who is looking into a decent project car.. this thing will be up for sale as soon as i can get my other car up and runnin...

anyways.. this was i guess meant to be a rant post.. so everyone chime in on your rants! i know im not the only one thats been completely sick and tired of theyre MN12's at some point :thumbsup:

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Sorry to hear sticky :( Wonder what came out of the top of the filter ??

And I for one am knocking on wood, Mine has not been one bit of trouble, { That being said} it will proabley fall apart now lol

it will be a deer !! They are everywere up here, A few Bears getting close to downtown Philly as well LOL

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry to hear sticky :( Wonder what came out of the top of the filter ??
well its not like im leaving the MN12 world forever.. lol i still have my 96 lx :D
as for the oil filter.. no clue but i can fit the ass end of a screwdriver into the hole..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i never really got a good look at it as i wasnt much of a fan for oil dripping all over my face but the holes a little smaller than a 1/2 dollar and coned into a point (going into the filter) what gets me is why i didnt run out of oil on the way to the gas station if that had been there the whole time.. i never bottom th car out and theres no gravel roads anywhere near me.. it only decided to blow 3 qts of oil out when i got it started again at the gas station.. i dont know..

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess I have been pretty lucky with mine. Did you ever make it to your job interview?
no i didnt but i called the guy and he said just show up whenever i get it running again.. so probably tomorrow or thursday. irony here.. the interview was at a place called M&D Automotive repair... lmao

·
Registered
605 Posts
tired of mine as well. It has been a good run though, over 200k. I bought an 07 screw f150 b/c of the reliability issues with the bird. That and I need something to haul stuff. I'm just going to drive the bird to and from work until it finally goes.

Right now its just idling really rough at stop lights (that i can't figure out why) and i'm tired of fixing parts every other weekend. So I will probably part mine out in the months to come....sad. Never thought I would get rid of the car, but it is just becoming more of a money pit to fix 14 year old parts.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tired of mine as well. It has been a good run though, over 200k. I bought an 07 screw f150 b/c of the reliability issues with the bird. That and I need something to haul stuff. I'm just going to drive the bird to and from work until it finally goes.

Right now its just idling really rough at stop lights (that i can't figure out why) and i'm tired of fixing parts every other weekend. So I will probably part mine out in the months to come....sad. Never thought I would get rid of the car, but it is just becoming more of a money pit to fix 14 year old parts.
ill agree with that... i never thot mine would give up either... because it was always MY car.. i always took care of it the best i could as money persisted... ive replaced almost everything on the car thats causing minor problems.. (starter, rad fan, t stat.. the usual stuff) but since i got my license back its been nothing but problems...

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I thought my 89 was troublesome, I had to do the HGs, and the AOD went out, and two heater cores. But with the abuse it has taken over the last 15 years, I guess I shouldn't be surprised when things go, like motor mounts, etc.

My 97 I drive it way harder, and break things in more spectacular fashion, like the plastic intake manifold, a few of the heater hoses, the tranny cooler in the radiator, etc. I still have way less problems than most of my co-workers who drive like sane adults and take the cars in for dealer service and oil changes.

At the office I was always the one following someone to the dealer to pick them up as they left a vehicle. I had my Grand Marquis in once, for a couple of issues that I could get handled under warranty, other than that, it has been solid, it is 3 years newer than my 97 Cougar and has 52,000 more miles.

There are some inherent issues with the pre-96 cars and that is the only reason I got a 97, I like the 94/95 Cougars. I have already dealt with bad valve seals and EGR clogging on the aluminum intakes, the weaknesses in the transmission, etc on a 95 Crown Vic, and I said never again :)

it is a 13 year old car.

·
Registered
272 Posts
my 96 is wonderful, 192xxx on it and i have beaten the living crap out of it since i have owned it, i have even pulled half circles of metal out of the tranny pan. Just dont scimp out on maintenance car will last as long as you take care of it.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my 96 is wonderful, 192xxx on it and i have beaten the living crap out of it since i have owned it, i have even pulled half circles of metal out of the tranny pan. Just dont scimp out on maintenance car will last as long as you take care of it.
i take care of my car like nobodies business.. regular oil changes.. tranny flushes.. coolant flushes etc.. i had a timing belt change and tranny rebuild schedualed for next month but the money for that just went down the drain.. my 96.. i beat the hell out of that thing and it still runs like a champ.. looks a helluva lot better than my 95 too... lol

·
5,650 Posts
Uh, if you are referring to your car in regards to what you have or had planned for next month, did you mean serpentine belt (as in the belt at the front of the motor that drives all the accessories)? Or did you mean timing belt in the sense of the belt that connects the crank to the cam? If it's the latter, there is no timing belt on the 4.6L. There are 2 timing chains, 2 tensioners, 2 guides, 2 arms, and 3 different gears.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Uh, if you are referring to your car in regards to what you have or had planned for next month, did you mean serpentine belt (as in the belt at the front of the motor that drives all the accessories)? Or did you mean timing belt in the sense of the belt that connects the crank to the cam? If it's the latter, there is no timing belt on the 4.6L. There are 2 timing chains, 2 tensioners, 2 guides, 2 arms, and 3 different gears.
well both actually but i meant timing chain.. srry for the confusion..

1 - 20 of 44 Posts