TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey

I got everything working tonite, but it hasnt been set down permanent yet.

I have a 2000w BOSS amp, and two 15" American Pro subs.

I wanted to know if I was going to blow a speaker. I have 1000w running into each 15" American Pro. Thier max is 800w. Is it going to be okay like that? or... just what do I need to do here?

thanks for any help!

Corey

·
Super Moderator
12,018 Posts
well i had to be the bearer of bad news, but your BOSS 2000w amp might give you around 1200-1400w.......and thats if your alternator is in good condition.........BOSS is known to over-rate their equipment, as many tests have proven........and your American Pro 15's will handle about 400-500w RMS........800 is probably peak.......unfortunately lesser known brands over-rate their specs by using non-conventional standards and measuring techniques, unlike what well known manufacturers use, like Cerwin-Vega, JBL, Rockford, etc

the good news is that your amp will match up nicely to those subs.......you wont fry a speaker if the enclosure is made specifically for that speaker by someone who knows the definitions of speaker parameters and how to use them to determine the box specifications.........or if you turn up the gains all the way up thinking you'll get more power out of the amp

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its better to match or over power a drivers power handling capacity because not enough power creates distortion which in turn will blow a speaker quicker than not enough power. I agree that the Boss amplifiers do not deliver its true power rating considering that it is an entry level piece of equipment.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
Someone said their Boss amp put out about 1900w instead of 3000w. I do want a cheaper good quality amp I'd probably want that 3000w amp to go to my subs, which SAY 1200w max each, but I think the 3000w amp will be okay. Where did you get your amp from, and do they have any higher watt ones?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Heres the deal

Crappy amps advertise huge power while they have none
Good amps advertise low power while they have huge amounts

1 - 5 of 5 Posts