TCCoA Forums banner

New '87 Turbo Coupe - Advice Appreciated

9K views 46 replies 10 participants last post by  T6Rocket 
#1 ·
Hi everyone

I have the rare chance to get hold of a practically new T-Bird TC from 1987. It has 800 miles and has never been licensed so is supposed to be like new.

Has anyone here experience with cars like that? Is it something like a chance of a lifetime or should I expect trouble after trouble even if it's like new? I'll have to find out when I test drive it if it was well stored and looked after or if it got a lot of deterioration in storage. The seller would give it to me with fresh licensing from the vehicle authority, so will be technically good.

I don't have the time and money to spend on restoration or maintenance but would really like to get this car as it would be a bit a dream come true.

I would appreciate any opinions and experiences.

#2 ·
I'm no expert but I have had buddies purchase cars that sat for years in storage..
Depending on storage conditions , I would expect a lot of the seals and rubber on the car to be dry cracked..
Has it sat with all the fluids in it? I wouldn't do a thing until I regreased and changed every fluid in the car, filters too while your at it...
If it's a price that you can't pass up...jump on it..seriously..i can see the turbo coupes becoming very popular soon as small engine turbo has become the craze .
May I ask what you plan on spending on it?

#3 ·
It depends what your intentions with the car are. If you are just going to hang onto it and preserve it as the time capsule that it is, then it will be fine. If you are going to drive it sparingly on occasional nice weekends, then it will probably be ok for a while, and you should be able to keep up with things as they come up. If you think you are going to daily drive it and not have to do any significant repairs for 30-50k miles, then there is no way. No matter how it was stored, rubber deteriorates with time, so as soon as you start driving it, all the various bushings and gaskets will start failing, and you will have multiple oil leaks and suspension creaks and noises. However if it is the car you really want, I would rather rebuild the suspension and reseal the motor than have to deal with rust and paint and a worn out interior, so it isn't necessarily something to stay away from, but don't expect to just turn the key and drive it for 5 years like you would with a new car.

#5 ·
Thanks a lot for your advice. Yes I would use it for a drive on the weekend or similar. I would say maximum 2'000 miles per year.

I do really want it but not for the prize of frustration, failures on the road or very expensive rebuilds... then I'd rather go for a test drive, take pictures and keep the afternoon for a lifetime memory with my dream car. But then again, if you can own your dream car, why not work and spend money for it? I'm a bit torn between that's why I'm thankful for your opinions.

#4 ·
Many thanks for your reply. It has been advertised a couple of days ago and is ready for a test drive. So the fluids are now in it, I'll ask the owner if the fluids were taken out during storage, thanks for the tip!

The car is advertised for around 23'500$ (converted) which is slightly above what I would be prepared to spend on it. Last year there was one on ebay for much more.

#6 ·
Where are you located?

I had a 1985 Cougar XR-7, same engine, no intercooler, less power. It was a fun car, but I'd have trouble spending $23000 on one even if it only had 800 miles on the odometer.

I inherited a 10 year old Crown Victoria that had 15,000 miles on it when my grandmother passed away. I drove it 1500 miles home to Minnesota from Texas, and it creaked and groaned over every bump due to the rubber bushings deteriorating. I did end up replacing the soft lines on the brakes, the suspension bushings (the ones that were greasable were OK for the most part though) and the fuel pump and fuel filter due to the very old gas that didn't go through the tank much wearing out the pump.

All told, it wasn't expensive, as I did the work myself, but it was a free car so I didn't mind so much. If I were to buy what is essentially a new car, at new car pricing, and have to do that work, it'd upset me.

#9 ·
MSRP of 1987 Turbo Coupe = $12,972
$12,972 in 1987 in Dec-2017 dollars = $28,780

FASTENAL (FAST) IPO'd in 1987 with a $9/share price. Today it's up 7,041% = $12972 in FAST would be worth ~$913,000 today.
Even if you didn't pick a lotto ticket like that,
VFINX (Vanguards S&P index fund) from Jan 1st, 1987 to 1/31/2018 is up 975%
$12972 worth of VFINX = $126,477

Yeah, this wasn't a good investment for the original owner. How much did he enjoy having an 3380LB paperweight in his garage?

Will you enjoy the same even if you are getting a "discount" off of what it would have cost new + not storing it for 31 years? I presume that you are going to pay cash for this car since I'm be shocked if someone would be willing to finance this old a car.

Q: Are there other places you can spend your money?

PS. Even if this car is kinda of cool for its generation, it will never have the larger audience appeal of the Buick GN or e30 M3. Much as though I wish my S4 would appreciate, the reality is that it's not going to happen.

#11 ·
I like that color! Have not seen it before on a TC.

Obviously, the car is missing at least one wheel center cap. Hopefully they have them.

Is the car an auto or manual? Manual would be more collectible, and the automatics didn't have as much HP.

Al

#12 ·
Yes, the color is certainly something different! The missing center cap stroke me too, they must be difficult to get hold of. It's become difficult already on my '97 I have those from a '95 Taurus on one side which have a slightly different color if you look closely.
Hmmm, I didn't know know there were automatic TC's. I always assumed they must have been manual only. What is the difference in horsepower, do you know? If it's an automatic my interest in buying it will decrease heavily.

#15 ·
I'd change the tires (old rubber is no good), the belts, all fluids and I'd have the chassis thoroughly checked for rotted busings, regrease everything and BABY THE **** OUT OF THE ENGINE FOR THE 1ST 500 MILES.

And in the meantime, enjoy this

#17 ·
When do you plan to check the Bird out?
Those TCs are one of the very few 4cyl car I would own...
I was looking at one but decided on my m8 instead..
Those 2.3 engines are pretty cool..
Do the autos use an aod trans?

#18 ·
I have an appointment with the seller next Thursday, it's quite a drive so I couldn't just turn up there to have a look.
Same here, this is pretty much the only 4cyl I would consider to own, the turbo makes it totally different, even some F1 cars in the 80's had 4-cylinders with over 1'000hp thanks to the turbo... fascinating, no idea why it never really became "the thing". They sound cool too!

Unfortunately I don't know if it is an automatic, I sure hope it's manual. I think turbos have to be manual since you need control over the turbo lag. And 40hp less is quite a drag as well... it surely could be tuned up but it would still be an automatic...

#21 ·
As with all old muscle cars, a manual will bring more $$ over an automatic every day of the week.

It wasn't just the boost they lowered, they used a different cam with the auto, IIRC.

Al

#24 ·
So I went to check this T-Bird out. It's in enormously good shape, looks shiny and new. Even the floor matts are still in the plastic, no rust and has never seen the sun or rain. The rubber sealing all around this beautiful specimen feels soft and it started immediately and the engine looks new as well. It has been stored with all fluids in it (the owner said that the oil is still the one with which the car was delivered with). The fuel pump was changed but the rest is as it was delivered 30 years ago...!

The ride was horrible though because the tyres are 30 years old too, felt like square cement wheels... otherwise everything was working fine; smooth gear shifts, all electronic stuff (windows, seats, antenna etc.) worked fine. No warning lights either. The only thing that didn't work was the cruise control: When any of the three resume, set/accelerate & coast were pressed the car accelerated strongly, like when the set/accel button is pressed and held.

I didn't go flat out with it due to the scary feeling tyres but the engine revved up nicely but as expected, power isn't that impressive with the automatic transmission. I would surely tune that up to 15psi in case I buy it.

If anyone has thoughts, let me know it and enjoy the pictures! :nerd:

Attachments

#25 ·
My thoughts:
How much do you like it? Can you see your self keeping it and what plans do you have for it?
If you do love this car, not those cars nut the very car you drove..if you love it because it's a gamble spending that kind of $ on an old car even if it has 1 Mile it's still all 30 year old stuff. But like me ,I personally prefer 90s cars and early 2000s. If I had the $ I would drop it on a few rides if they ever came along..
If it is your car . Set an amount you feel is good for both you and throw him a low ball offer just to test the waters...you never know he might just want to wash his hands of it...

#27 · (Edited by Moderator)
My thoughts:
How much do you like it? Can you see your self keeping it and what plans do you have for it?

If it is your car . Set an amount you feel is good for both you and throw him a low ball offer just to test the waters...you never know he might just want to wash his hands of it...
I like it a lot, I loved just looking at it when I was there. It's a bit smaller than I expected, at least the width. My '97 looks much more massive, the TC looks very nimble on the other hand, quite likable! The color is much nicer than I expected in real life and the black line all around the car is cool. The only downside is the automatic transmission but this is a pretty severe downside because I would take the bird out for a fly once or twice a month only and then I would drive to the countryside and would like to enjoy the manual. It's different on an everyday car, then I prefer an automatic.

I threw him an offer already but he declined... he is a garage owner who sells it for a friend of his. The guy inherited the car as the original owner imported it in '87, never had time for it and then died. So the seller said that he will have to invest a not yet clear amount of cash for new tyres, tune up, and the modifications necessary to pass the examination of the Swiss DMV and then the examination itself. I'll have to think it over several times but this price with the automatic could be the reason for me pulling out of it in the end.

Thanks for your thoughts.

The car looks really nice!

I wouldn't turn the boost up - there is a reason Ford kept it low with that automatic. Unless you beef up the tranny first. You have to figure on it being a "cruiser", not a "bruiser".

Still having the original oil is ridiculous. What are they trying to prove? I would get that oil out of there ASAP.

If you really want a fast car: a built 4RW70 (if it fits), a converter, and turn the boost to 18 and add a free flowing exhaust, the car would really scream! You could keep the stock parts if you ever want to sell it.

Al
Very good tips, thanks man! I will look into this if I decide to buy it.

#26 · (Edited)
The car looks really nice!

I wouldn't turn the boost up - there is a reason Ford kept it low with that automatic. Unless you beef up the tranny first. You have to figure on it being a "cruiser", not a "bruiser".

Still having the original oil is ridiculous. What are they trying to prove? I would get that oil out of there ASAP.

If you really want a fast car: a built 4RW70 (if it fits), a converter, and turn the boost to 18 and add a free flowing exhaust, the car would really scream! You could keep the stock parts if you ever want to sell it.

Al

#28 ·
No 4R70W will fit the 2.3 I4 block.

OP - Sounds like your tastes are similar to mine. I would love to have a '66 and a TC someday as well. It looks really nice but it's not going to be a "buy it and drive it" despite the mileage and condition - much as you've noticed. Fluids, suspension (tires and all other rubbers), and some electrical gremlins (oxidation due to age possibly) will be there on any old car, regardless of mileage.

If it was me though... I would probably end up taking it home. You said yourself these are incredibly rare. What you see now... you probably won't see again - and if you do, it will probably be more expensive. But with it being the auto flavor, if that is a deal breaker... then you gotta know your own limits and when to move on.

#32 ·
Most famous Swiss cars are probably Monteverdi (see picture) from the 70's who made exclusive high performance luxury sports and touring cars with big V8's from Chrysler as far as I remember. But that was before my time, I have never seen one in real life...

We have very restrictive regulations for modifying cars, you often see the police measuring out cars they pulled over (ride height, distance from tyre to wheel guard, tyre width, noise, safety stuff etc. etc.) on the shoulder of the street. There is a community of "tuners" (that's what they are called here) but it's not very big and they're usually guys with cheap cars which they try to make them look powerful and expensive...

They have to get all modifications authorized otherwise the police can confiscate the vehicle if they catch them for example with bigger exhaust pipes than the paper says.

Attachments

#33 ·
There is a community of "tuners" (that's what they are called here) but it's not very big and they're usually guys with cheap cars which they try to make them look powerful and expensive...
And we have a similar group here that we call "ricers" that do the same thing! :tongue:

Joe

Reactions: Grog6
#34 ·
Since your country is so restrictive on modifications AND you also are interested in driving something unique (and potentially turbocharged), I guess you are left looking for vehicles that are interesting from the OEM.

Q: With an oddball car, do you plan to do any repair work yourself or do you plan on hiring a mechanic for most jobs?

This might restrict the age and/or complexity of the car you want to look at finding.
Some cars that we can't get in the US that I find interesting. We can't get them in the US until they are >25 yrs old BUT even then emissions restrictions in CA prevent me from importing them (also garage space):

Renault Alpine GTA/A610 - turbo V6

2000-2002 Audi S4
2000-2001 Audi RS4 (not avail in US) but adds practicality b/c it's a wagon, too.
I own one. Not the most easily serviced cars (and lots of little bits fail over time) but a) they are cheap now, b) common enough that parts/expertise sourcing shouldn't be an issue), and c) pretty fun to drive because of the Biturbo V6 + AWD.

Clio V6 Renault Sport
Mid engine RWD hatch w/ a V6 (no turbo though)

Or maybe one of these Japanese turbo 4s
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo 4/5/6/7
2nd gen MR2 Turbo
Nissan Silvia S13/S14
- Good luck finding any of these that are still in stock form

#35 ·
Thanks, not necessary anymore, I decided to buy it!! I really look forward to my TC, I will wait to pick it up till march when usually the weather is better and not so cold, as I will only drive it in good weather.

To the cars above: My brother once had a Renault Alpine (older than the depicted one); it was fast, about the same as my fox body Mustang I had at the time. He sold it when he realized how expensive the tyres were as they had to be custom made...!

#38 ·
Yes, congrats.
BTW, if you need any parts for your tbird, one of the more popular sites we use here in the US to buy car parts affordably has been rockauto.com. You can always find a 5% off coupon.

#39 ·
Congrats!

Stick with Motorcraft parts whenever possible - to maintain the originality of the car.

Al

#42 ·
Oh yes, i forgot that one. that's definitely one on my lottery winner wishlist. I've even toyed with the idea of buying a Merkur XR4TI as a chassis donor for my next lemons car if the tbird dies.

The merkur (at least stateside) came with the 80s ford 2.3T

Ken Block bought the Group A ver of this car and brought it to the Hoonigan garage.

#43 ·
Thanks guys! The exact dream car would have been the manual in black, but you can't have everything in life and I thought it's close enough. In other words, I could never have forgiven myself (is that the right grammar??) not having taken this chance to buy it as it will hardly come again.

#44 ·
I could never have forgiven myself (is that the right grammar??) not having taken this chance to buy it as it will hardly come again.
Pretty close. :)

I would have phrased it, "I could never have forgiven myself if I had not taken this chance to buy it, as it will hardly come again."

#46 ·
Update

Here are a couple of up-to-date pictures for those who are interested. I kept everything original and put around 500 miles on it this summer (it now has almost 1400 miles in total). It's a beautiful drive, pretty luxury and no problems so far (knock on wood). I still wish it would be a manual because the automatic is a bit nervous (shifts down too quickly) as I expected with 4 cylinders. But one can't have everything, it's still a dream come true.

I took it to a couple of car shows but most people walked by not giving it much attention, some ignoring it as this T-Bird were a Camry or something!! :laugh: One organizer even told me that this car is too new for classic car shows, cars have to be old not rare, weird guy... :confused: On the other hand some really appreciated it but there were not many, it's a car for people with special interest or taste.

Enjoy the pictures!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.