TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Just picked up a Green95 LX 4.6 with 200,000.
Only paid 850$ for it, impeccable outside shape.

No rust, clean paint, no damage.

Drove it home , gave it a quick lookover figured a few things out.

Needs a front left upper ball joint, ordered control arm.

Had code for lean condition bank 1, egr excessive flow, and o2 fault not switching

Watched fuel trims, saw after driving for 10 mins both banks were at +45% and puffing black smoke. Installed EGR block off plate, problem solved runs clean now, no more fuel smell. Trims stay below 7%. Would have properly changed EGR valve but was just a nasty mother to remove the bolts.
We dont have smog testing here in Canada.

Engine runs good now, but one more problem. Car had a low shift shudder, installed shudder fix and its gone, however, the low rpm, shifts remain.
When it shifts in to third, the rpm's drop like its lugging to get into gear. Once RPM picks up to about 1300 it then shifts into 4th, at around maybe 38-40 mph. Will downshift but only if I step on it. OD light not flashing. OD switch works well, Can drive the car normally with OD disabled. Fluid is at operating level, and is bring pink/red, and not burnt.

I have no history on this car but there are several performance stickers under the hood, such as Edelbrock, K and N and B and M.
I wonder if the previous owner had a tune uploaded or a shift kit installed, maybe new gears in the back or different ratio's in the tranny?

As far as I know the next step for tranny diagnosis is a flush filter install with mercon V. Lucky my friend works for ford so I get the stuff for free.

Please take the time to read my post, im excited to join TCCOA.

Regards,

Chris

·
Super Moderator
13,029 Posts
Welcome.

Sounds like you've figured out what's going on. The EGR Delete is a good start. But you still need to turn the EGR off in the tune.

J-mod the transmission. You can probably reuse the trans fluid since it's new.

Stickers? LOL Well, you know each one's good for an extra 100 HP! Woot! But really, I wouldn't hold my breath that any of those items are actually on the car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know if a bad TPS can cause early shifts and odd shift patterns?

Shifting is ok if I step on the gas a bit, say 20% throttle where as I usually drive at maybe 5% throttle

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
It sounds like the converter is locked immediately when it shifts to 3rd. That will make it lug.

I would read the tech articles for the fluid flush. You can drain a lot from the torque converter. You can reuse the factory pan gasket. All aftermarket one's are known to be unreliable.

The EGR can affect shift points. After I cleaned out the EGR passages on my 95, if shifted consistently lower, like 25 MPH into 3rd. Before that, it wouldn't shift to third until like 32-34 MPH. Seems unlikely, but that's the only thing I changed.

Al

·
Administrator
1997 Thunderbird LX
8,352 Posts
Upgrade the tranny pan and filter to the 96+ also. :)

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts