TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in P.A. from wed-sat and while I was there I picked up some new battery clamps with 2 4-8g hook ups and 2 10-12g hook ups, I thought for 7.44 a peice I can't go wrong, gotta love wal-mart ( don't have any here in NYC). Anyway I think these will be perfect for the big 3 I will be doing soon, and for a little bit of style they are nice and shinny. The company name is what worries me but only a little bit, they are made by schose or something like that but I have never really seen that name anywhere but I guess we'll see how they work out. Its snowing right now again after the old stuff just melted but once this snow melts pictures will follow...

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
scosche makes a lot of stereo doodads. they are pretty good, the harness for my stereo is scosche, and the adapter kit in my gf's old car is the same brand. never had any problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
As long as they're not potmetal you'll be fine.

the only important thing about the clamps is how good you can get the wires tightened down; if they're loose they will cook.

The ones I bought surplus are gold plated brass; look ok, and brass will tighten pretty well. Whatever they are made of, Don't strip the compression screws; you will regret it later, probably in the middle of the night, in the rain...

I use white lithium grease spray to keep them from corroding; with new wires, make sure some kind of oil wicks up under the insulation...otherwise, you get the green crud eating the wires.

WD 40 takes the lithium off, if you have a show or something, but recoat them heavy when you aren't showing it off; they'll last longer.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
I got some battery terminals from Raptor, and one has a digital readout. I bought a positive terminal that was missing the digital readout, but it was half-price. Looked up the model number online, and found the pair for cheaper than the original price of the positive terminal. Don't know if I'm keeping the Bronco, so I'll just put the spare positive one on for now, when I get a chance.

Gotta get my Orion amp hooked up, and then either use my home sub or finish up on my box I'm building. My home sub is a 10" L7 in a vented box, so we'll see how that compares to the pair of MTX 12"s in a sealed box.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sounds nice, yeah I almost orderd a set of digital ones by rockford, for like 22$ on ebay but I already bought these, perhaps when these get scratched pretty bad Ill get them. Good luck with the sub and amp.

·
Super Moderator
12,748 Posts
Digital meters can inject noise...

I've seen meters add more noise than the alternator; they have a ~120Hz scan frequency for the display, and if cheaply doe, it adds noise.

You might pay$50 for them, but that doesn't mean they were more than 0.59 cents from the boat from china...

If you add a display, and hear any new noise, remove it and recheck.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Not gonna leave it on constantly. Thinking of doing a hood pin, since I have a couple spares. I'm just gonna put my extra terminal on, that doesn't have the digital readout on my truck, and if I get nother vehicle soon, I can just leave that one on and don't have to worry about it.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Gotta ask, not trying to be rude/ignorant:

Is there any real reason for 'upgrading' the clamps? I just reinstalled my sub into my Cat and just clamped the power wire to the terminal. Guy at stereo show where I bought a new fuse block said I 'needed' a new terminal clamp too :wtf:.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't go without a post terminal. I got mine for like $30 shipped for positive with digital readout and negative on eBay.

Photos of negative terminal not included.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.