TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard anything about the NEW BBK 4.6L SOHC intake manifold??? I just read a very small sentence in the latest HOT ROD magazine in the "101 New Speed Parts and Hot Rods" article, pg. 84. I was just wondering if anyone has read / heard anything about it----like flow numbers, approximate gains, or if it's even worth getting and replacing the stockers with.

Well, I just read it and thought I'd bring it up. If I can find out more and if the price is right, I may give it a try and see if it's worth anything. Especially with the BBK 75mm TB and Trick Flow Intake Plenum.

Later
Slowride

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
hmm.....manifold choices for our engines are starting to pop up slowly....after only a few years of the 4.6 being out

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
JoeyICU said:
hmm.....manifold choices for our engines are starting to pop up slowly....after only a few years of the 4.6 being out
the 4.6 has been out for 13 years. its about time they start poppin up.

Frank

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
yeah a few have been out theyve been pricey tho...but hopefully prices of intake manifolds will go down as more come onto the market

·
Registered
192 Posts
There was also a mention of two intake manifolds and heads comming to market "soon" in MM&FF from componies. So are they going to be a standard port? Or are they going to be "new" ports that require there heads and intakes to be used togather? Hopefully by fall they will be out. If sales of they new parts are good it will helf make more reason for others to jump in. Anyone remember the early ninties? Only a few manifolds and fewer heads were out for the mustangs. The 4.6's were in the mustangs for 3 years till the "better" version came out.So people were doing the cheap swaps for quick power. Now people arent as fearfull of tearing into these engines as they were in the late 90's . It all adds up. In the mid-late 80's people were still pulling off the injection to put on carbs.Now very few people do that.It sucks to wait but the time for some Good "hard" parts is almost here. I cant wait.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Okay, I called BBK today, and here's what I found out. The intake is being designed for PI heads, and at this time they have no plans for an NPI version. They say it should be around the same height as the PI intake but they're not sure whether it will fit under the hood of anything besides a Mustang. Sorry, but there just aren't enough of us for a company the size of BBK to produce a Tbird-friendly or NPI model. They're also working on a set of cylinder heads to be released in early 2005, and possibly a 3-valve head retrofit kit for 2-valve cars. I forgot to ask, but I'm guessing the new design will be made from aluminum, not plastic, since that's what they did for their LS1 manifold.

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
id buy it and do that port matching..mayeb it will work for there manifold also?.....it would make sense since the ports would be the same....it mgith need more work tho

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, according to the article and pic in HOT ROD....it's aluminum. If it's for the PI heads only....then it won't do me any good with my SVO's.....unless someone makes an adaptor. They may end up regretting doing these is PI form later down the road...I guess we'll see.

Also, about the two manifolds mention in one of the above posts by pa_dan, I know FRPP is coming out with THREE 5.0L crate motors (bored & stroked 4.6L SOHC)sometime in the near future. Two will be fuel injected setups, and the 3rd is an 8 carb setup. They look sweet!!!!! Don't know if the manifolds wil be made available seperately and if they'll be PI and / or NPI versions. Time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You guys are right......they're DOHC....just looked the article up. MY BAD GUYS!! My memory isn't what it used to be. *LOL*

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
No fear to all of you guys running the NPI heads. If you get onto the modular forums they are all talking about the PI manifold on the NPI heads. There are a few places that make the adapters I think one is Liveronious but its like six hundred bones. There was a post from Johnny Langton (sorry if you read this and I spelled your name wrong its not my strong point) that stated they made more torque with the NPI engines and PI manifolds. Im hoping this answers your questions.

P.S. There was a guy who was gonna make some and sell them for like two bones so dont loose hope...

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
seawalkersee said:
No fear to all of you guys running the NPI heads. If you get onto the modular forums they are all talking about the PI manifold on the NPI heads. There are a few places that make the adapters I think one is Liveronious but its like six hundred bones. There was a post from Johnny Langton (sorry if you read this and I spelled your name wrong its not my strong point) that stated they made more torque with the NPI engines and PI manifolds. Im hoping this answers your questions.

P.S. There was a guy who was gonna make some and sell them for like two bones so dont loose hope...
you dont necessarily need an adaptor. peopl e have done and are doing the swap with no adaptors and picking up approx. 20 rwhp

Frank

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
Yes, you can run it without the adapters. However if you are planning on running them with out the adapter... I would not use a power adder. You also have to (are supposed to some dont though) use RTV on the top (side closest to the center of the engine) of the gasket to seal the deal. If you hold the gasket up to it you will see were it is. I asked Johnny Langton if it would be feasible to do like the SC guys and have the head welded and reshaped. I could not find the post again to see what he said. I am kind of a perfectionist (YES I heat shrink wires, make new spots for fuses, and run new relays instead of just adding wires) so I would want there to be as little turbulance near the gasket as possible.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts