TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few of the STL area guys went over to Gateway last night for the last test & tune session of the year. I brought my turbo car to see if I could improve on my previous best ET of 10.7.

First pass with a 16 pounds of boost and badly spinning off the line and again after the shift into 2nd it ran a dissapointing 10.882 @ 133.83 with a 1.905 60ft.

Second pass I lowered the tire pressure from 15.5 to 14.5 PSI and increased the boost to 18 pounds and once again had bad tire spin in 1st and 2nd gear but still went a little quicker running 10.752 @ 134.95 with a slightly better 1.867 60 ft. At this point I was beginning to worry that I would not be able beat my 91s best ET.

Last pass I lowered the tires to 14.0 and increased the boost a little to 19 psi, and was not feeling very good about my chances for an ET lower than my 91. Luckily about 4 cars before I was supposed race, they stopped us and prepped the track for some fast cars racing in a track shootout final. That must have helped because even though it was spinning off the line it was still accelerating pretty hard and I didn't feel any spin after the shift into 2nd. When I saw the 1.633 60 ft on the scoreboard I knew it was going to be my best pass, and was expecting somethings in the 10.5s. When I got the timeslip I was pleasantly suprised to see it had ran a 10.281 @ 136.28

I'm 99% certian that with better tires and a little more boost, I can get into the 9s. The guy helping me (Dan Saitz of Hyperformance) said for the fuel we had in the car (50/50 mix 93/116 octane) we could have added 3 more degrees of timing and turned up the boost to the sweet spot of 24 psi and the car would run 9.8s. Oh yeah this was done at full street weight with the only changes being the race wheels/tires (aprox 4200 lbs). Best of all nothing broke.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45413&d=1288194177

David

PS: This link has more details and some pictures of the car.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=39

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
did you ever put a cage in either car?

nice times homie!
No...I'm planning to install a 6 point roll bar over the winter. That will make it legal to 10.0 @ 135, which will be good enough to get away with racing it at most tracks.

David

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Great Job Dave. I am sure you had them all scratching there heads. :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
Almost makes me wish I hadn't sold my 4.3 stroker :).. Very nice man hope you hit 9's.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys.

The old 27" MT ET streets I've got now are pretty much shot, so I'm getting a new set of 28" Hoosiers next week that should help lower the 60 ft times and give me a little more top end speed without raising the rev limiter.

If it runs high 9s with just the new tires and a little more boost that would be cool, but I don't really care if it does. Worried that if I get too carried away with running quicker and quicker track numbers, it will soon turn into a full blown race car and I'll stop enjoying it.

I'm really struggling with the idea of installing a roll bar, for the same reason.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heading to Kentucky this weekend to race the car again. With a new set of slicks and a few minor changes to the tune, rev limiter and boost settings, I'm hoping for high 9 second timeslip to end the season.

David

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
man, I'm just surprised at the trakcs that are allowing you to run there....I guess safety is not their primary concern?

·
Registered
201 Posts
David...

I plan to spectate and hopefully be witness to your 9 sec. run... :D

Cheri and I and a friend of mine will all be there at around 10 am. Looking forward to seeing you guys again and drive safe down to KY. Right know it looks to be right at 60* for ya and NO rain..... nice cool Temps!!

see ya guys soon.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man, I'm just surprised at the trakcs that are allowing you to run there....I guess safety is not their primary concern?
The race in KY this weekend is a private track rental and I won't be in the competition, just making timed runs. I was only able to make those passes at Gateway, because they were ceasing operations and closing the track within a couple days. Tinted windows and the assumption by track officials that I already had a cage if I was racing in the slick tire class didn't hurt either.

Same car had already gotten the boot in 2006 for running too quick, and had not been raced there since that time. Seriously considering the addition of a roll bar over the winter.

David

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
David...

I plan to spectate and hopefully be witness to your 9 sec. run... :D

Cheri and I and a friend of mine will all be there at around 10 am. Looking forward to seeing you guys again and drive safe down to KY. Right know it looks to be right at 60* for ya and NO rain..... nice cool Temps!!

see ya guys soon.

Jeff
Jeff,

That's great, I'll see you there.

David

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Wow, those are some bad a** times! 10.281 at full weight none less. I like your set up.

·
Registered
332 Posts

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
The race in KY this weekend is a private track rental and I won't be in the competition, just making timed runs. I was only able to make those passes at Gateway, because they were ceasing operations and closing the track within a couple days. Tinted windows and the assumption by track officials that I already had a cage if I was racing in the slick tire class didn't hurt either.

Same car had already gotten the boot in 2006 for running too quick, and had not been raced there since that time. Seriously considering the addition of a roll bar over the winter.

David
makes sense....

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Main reason for racing the car, is to prove to myself what it's really capable of. I was also getting tired of explaining why the best ET with my v6 supercharged SC was quicker than the v8 turbocharged SC ;)

David

·
Super Moderator
12,082 Posts
Congrats Dave.

:zbeer:

A lot of us are turning in better times this fall. I hope to improve mine when we run the cars on the 27th at Rockingham.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts