TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I picked up my new bird today. Its a 94 LX V8...and it has a couple issues.

1. The odometer does not work. The title stated the car had 131,000 when purchased on 4/11/08. It now reads 132,308 but doesnt even budge. The trip odo. doesn;t work either. The speedo does though. Any ideas?

2. Car ran great when I test drove it, shifted great, motor was good all that stuff. Today I pick it up and drive it home and it runs fine all the way home. About an hour or two later I leave to go to hockey which is 20 minutes away, and the whole way the the tranny was a nightmare. Didn't want shift, didn't know what gear it wanted to be in. It was just all over the place. Get in it to drive home from hockey and it drove absolutley perfect all the way home, so I'm at a total loss for what the problem is right now.

3. The gas gauge doesn't work. I get in the car at the guys house and start it up and I was like...NICE the guy left 1/2 a tank in it. So I go to the nearest gas station and throw $20 in it and the needle doesn't even budge. I have a 95 parts donor car that the gas gauge worked fine in. What would I have to do to get it to work in the new bird.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks.

Also, pics of the new bird will be up in a day or two.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
So I picked up my new bird today. Its a 94 LX V8...and it has a couple issues.

1. The odometer does not work. The title stated the car had 131,000 when purchased on 4/11/08. It now reads 132,308 but doesnt even budge. The trip odo. doesn;t work either. The speedo does though. Any ideas?

2. Car ran great when I test drove it, shifted great, motor was good all that stuff. Today I pick it up and drive it home and it runs fine all the way home. About an hour or two later I leave to go to hockey which is 20 minutes away, and the whole way the the tranny was a nightmare. Didn't want shift, didn't know what gear it wanted to be in. It was just all over the place. Get in it to drive home from hockey and it drove absolutley perfect all the way home, so I'm at a total loss for what the problem is right now.

3. The gas gauge doesn't work. I get in the car at the guys house and start it up and I was like...NICE the guy left 1/2 a tank in it. So I go to the nearest gas station and throw $20 in it and the needle doesn't even budge. I have a 95 parts donor car that the gas gauge worked fine in. What would I have to do to get it to work in the new bird.

I would really appreciate any help that anyone can give me. Thanks.

Also, pics of the new bird will be up in a day or two.
O.K., I'm certainly not an expert Ford mechanic and I'm sure others will have some better suggestions, but:

#1 - You probably have an internal mechanical problem with the speedo/odometer but just for the hell of it, try pushing the button in to reset the odometer. I've had in the past the mechanism somehow get hung-up and neither the odometer or the trip odometer worked until I just happened to try pressing the button in again.

#2 - I'm guessing you have some kind of electrical/wiring or bad sensor issue going on here, something that acts-up intermittently - is your "Service Engine Soon" light on? If so, have the codes pulled from the computer. Visually inspect as much of the underhood and under car wiring (that goes to the transmission) as best as you can for pinched wiring or broken insulation that is shorting out against something.

#3 - I'm guessing either it's a wiring problem or the float is stuck/defective. If the wiring checks-out O.K., then it's probably the sending unit. I'm not sure it the sending unit on these cars in integral with the in-tank fuel pump, but in either case you could probably substitute known working parts from the '95 to get the gauge working again.

Check ALL your fuses (both under the dash and in the engine compartment) to make sure you don't have any blown fuses - blown fuses could cause a couple of the problems you're experiencing!

Good luck!

Dennis

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anybody else got any help for me?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
now that I read about the MLPS that sounds like what it is....how complicated of a job is it to change it?

·
Registered
86 Posts
It is very easy to change. The early ones like on your car had issues with moisture getting inside them and they fail. It is located on the outside of the transmission right at the shift lever. Just make sure you put the new one in properly.

·
Registered
219 Posts
sounds like what mine did when i bought it and the reason it was cheap as they thought the tranny was junk . my cuz who worked at all trans here for 17-20 years ,suggested changing the filter and fluid which after seeing it was a dain good thing , and he thought it'd clear up . it did . i beat on it daily now till the real love is done and it's the birds turn in the garage .........................

·
Registered
641 Posts
Got a part number 55F350? Sorry to bug, but mine doesn't like to shift out until it sucks up some 10 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Great! That will probably be my 1st of the month project along with the EGR replacement and intake cleaning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts