TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well, today my g/f bought a 93 bird from a friend of mine ( might be 92 ) but it has the 3.8 , with only 65k miles on it.... ( for 300 bucks can't beat it ) only thing wrong with it are quite a few cosmetic probs. first thing is the door tho, the driver side door doesnt shut right, it's almost like i have to kneel down and kinda pull the door up as i shut it, i thikn it's the little metal hinges in the door .. not sure, any help would be great, i can do the window motor/ door panels myself.. but the door thing kinda stumps me.. also as i was driving it home, the check engine light kept going on and off.. my buddy says it's been doing it for like a year .. any ideas? how do i check the engine light, i know on mine ( 95 ) is OBDII

Thanks, any help is appriciated.

·
Registered
798 Posts
The door problem is definately your door hinges, and could also be a combination of the hinges and the striker pin.

The flashing CEL isn't good, and your best bet would be to go to autozone to get the codes read.

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
They will tell you that and it is probably true. You need to get a reader that can do EEC-IV. Check Advance, if ya got one. About 3 years ago they were all sent this kit that could read all computer codes through OBDII. Most of the stores either trashed it or put it away (or in the case of my old store the manager took it home and sold it on ebay). That would be your best bet. Could just be a miss, has the car ever been tuned up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm honestly not sure, literally drove it home about 3 hours ago. it rode fine the whole way home, no hesitation at all, the light's just buggin me already.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
try cleaning or replacing teh maf also. i know a bad one can make the light come on.. theres a lot of things, but seems to be a common problem. btw, good find! post some pics asap.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
You can use a paperclip or a piece of wire to get the codes off the car. I have an OBD-I reader which makes it a little easier but just as easy to use the CEL light to get the codes. There is a tech article that has the codes, or post it/them once you get them.

Door hinges are a common problem, my 89 doesn't have a problem and it gets serious use, but the 97 I bought with low miles already had the upper hinge replaced. There are a couple tech articles in the exterior section.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts