TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had to attend a work "safety meeting" which I had to drive 20mins to get there and sit for 30mins to listen to my new boss and old boss explain the effects of high heat on your body. :rolleyes: With summer coming we have to drink more water, no kidding, it only get's 115+ here.

Anyway I see the new boss roll up in his beat up 1980's K5 blazer and when he hops out he door dings the crap out of my car. :zsoapbox:

I tried to be as calm about it as possible and he basically tried to tell me that he thought it was like that before. Really?!?! Are you f'ing kidding me? I almost punched him in the mouth.

He then proceeded to tell me he'd take care of it, at which point I told him no kidding, I saw it happen, you did it, your going to pay to have it fixed. A few minutes later he comes up to me and says... so I don't think it's going to cost anything to fix it... want $50? I told him expect another zero added to the end of that, I'll have a quote from my body shop by Saturday.

I also told him once you hear how much it's going to cost you might as well break out your insurance card, but he still said I'll just pay for it out of pocket bring me the estimate and I'll take care of it.

Yes it's dented, yes it's down to the metal, no it wont buff right out. FML.

·
Registered
125 Posts
People suck, my friend and I were sitting in his truck eating lunch between our classes and this dumb lady gets out of her Toyota and slams the door right into his truck! I couldn't believe it, he was pissed! He took it calmly and didn't confront her, but I'm surprised he didn't! I hate people and their crappy parking lot manners.

Good luck with the fix and go to a shop that will give you an outrageous quote.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
People suck, my friend and I were sitting in his truck eating lunch between our classes and this dumb lady gets out of her Toyota and slams the door right into his truck! I couldn't believe it, he was pissed! He took it calmly and didn't confront her, but I'm surprised he didn't! I hate people and their crappy parking lot manners.

Good luck with the fix and go to a shop that will give you an outrageous quote.
Stupid people assume that because they don't give two sh/ts about their car that you must not either. I probably would have punched him in the mouth. Take down his license plate number, they can get his insurance information that way if he doesnt take care of it in the next week.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
What is that scuff all the way to the right in the picture ? And are those scratches ? Looks like a cat tried to climb up your door .. stupid cat.

·
Super Moderator
16,821 Posts
People laugh when I park at the most empty far away sections of parking lots everywhere I go. This is why.

Sucks dude, especially the awkwardness of it being your boss. At least you know who did it though.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
People laugh when I park at the most empty far away sections of parking lots everywhere I go. This is why.

Sucks dude, especially the awkwardness of it being your boss. At least you know who did it though.

+1 on the parking
&
I agree, at least hopefully he'll stick to his word on paying for it after he hears the price..

·
Super Moderator
9,179 Posts
Ouch! If I caught someone doing that to my bird, I would NOT be able to keep my temper! Props to you for that...

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What an ass clown. It doesnt matter the age or condition. No one respects others crap. The other day I came outside and our roaming manager who gives my boss days off is sitting on my trunk. When I told him to get the **** off. He said "It needs paint anyway" That comment didnt go over well. Hope he pays you.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What is that scuff all the way to the right in the picture ? And are those scratches ? Looks like a cat tried to climb up your door .. stupid cat.
It's hard to tell but the car is dusty, the scratches to the left are just through the dust. The scuff all the way to the right is the reflection in my paint, through the dust of his step bars. You'll probably make out. The parking spot line on the ground also about mid door. So it's not like I was over the lines or anything either.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
It's hard to tell but the car is dusty, the scratches to the left are just through the dust. The scuff all the way to the right is the reflection in my paint, through the dust of his step bars. You'll probably make out. The parking spot line on the ground also about mid door. So it's not like I was over the lines or anything either.
Oh I see that now. What a jackass.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Hey, it can work out in your favor. You caught him red handed. The old lady that lives across the street from me can't really drive and backed her Honda fit right into my Accord while trying to parallel park in front of her garage. It was so severe it scuffed my bumper and knocked out a corner light several feet off my car).

The good news is that I came out right as she was parking (the corner lamp was still bouncing down the street). Since I caught her red handed, she handed over her insurance info and I parlayed their payment for a new bumper + corner light into a pretty nice 2-stage paint job for only an additional $400 out of my pocket (saved me something like $800). I won't win any concours (esp not with a 97 accord) but the paint isn't unintentionally flat grey anymore :)
NOTE: this is SF -- unlike the burbs, you don't "own" the spots near your house. Nevertheless, I will park down the street even if there's an opening in front of her house now.

In your situation, this guy has nominal power over you as your boss. Don't lose your temper here as you want to be able to extricate his money for the repair without losing your continued salary (which hopefully is worth more to you than the repair).

Q: Do you have witnesses that heard his acknowledgement of fault?
I'm also hoping you took other pictures (including his car next to yours).

Let's see what he says after you show up with an estimate (you might as well get 2 or 3 just in case he balks at the first one to show consistency). Hopefully, this guy isn't the owner of your company so you have a higher authority to appeal to if this guy tries to screw you over.

Good luck.

-g

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,918 Posts
What a bad situation to be in.. :(

I would get the 3 estimates to him as soon as possible..

You're in a very vulnerable position right now..

Hopefully this doesn't come down to: "Keep Your Job" or "Get your Car fixed"..

If he has any morals this will turn out just fine for you..

Good Luck!

Rayo..
Agreed.

I know what a PITA "Safety Meetings" can be and I understand your dismay and frustration with this situation. I hope the boss mans up and pays to get it fixed.

3 Estimates is idea; choose them carefully so that they're close together and reasonable.

Also, given employers inclination to snoop social media for disgruntled employees, airing your grievances here may not be such a good idea.

Just give the mods/admins the word and we can make this thread go away.

Have you guys been following the spat of employers asking for Facebook and Twitter passwords of employees and potential employees? Or asking, even requiring employees or students to "Friend" a supervisor or coach so that the employer/university has access to the individuals account? What a crock-o-sh!t!

I was just reading about a Library of Congress employee who was fired over "Liking" a gay website on Facebook.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
I was reading something about legislation to pass an "internet Bill of rights" .. that would make it illegal for unauthorized users to access your accounts or email. On the other hand, somebody was telling me about a study where employers "Like" employees who are active on social websites, because they tend to be more outgoing and well rounded individuals.

I still dont have a FB account, I wish they would put a "dislike" button so people would stop posting meaningless nonsenese "Hey, I am eating nachos !! "

If a boss asked me for a password to anything as a term of employment, I would share it if they give me their password, and their bank account information, etc .. you know, its only fair. ;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Agreed.

I know what a PITA "Safety Meetings" can be and I understand your dismay and frustration with this situation. I hope the boss mans up and pays to get it fixed.

3 Estimates is idea; choose them carefully so that they're close together and reasonable.

Also, given employers inclination to snoop social media for disgruntled employees, airing your grievances here may not be such a good idea.

Just give the mods/admins the word and we can make this thread go away.

Have you guys been following the spat of employers asking for Facebook and Twitter passwords of employees and potential employees? Or asking, even requiring employees or students to "Friend" a supervisor or coach so that the employer/university has access to the individuals account? What a crock-o-sh!t!

I was just reading about a Library of Congress employee who was fired over "Liking" a gay website on Facebook.
And if my employer asked for that I would 'politely' tell them what they can suck, and where they can go......

That being said, they would have no right whatsoever to fire you over that kind of thing so YOU have the upper hand. I'd be pissed as hell if I saw that.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well things were tense most of the day, since as the new assistant manager he is directly above me, however he loosened up and I calmed down more around 2pm or so. He basically went out of his way to apologize for how he acted yesterday, and to reassure me that it wasn't alright like he kept trying to pawn it off on me as last night, and that he would man up and take care of it 100% and to just get him the written quote from the body shop I always go to.

He now realizes it will probably total over $300 and he's prepared for it, saying worst case I'll be payed for it within 2 weeks (his next paycheck). I think his boss, my Manager got through to him today and made him realize that my car means a whole lot more to me then you'd think, and that it's basically like a child to me. He didn't realize that last night.

As far as social media snooping I have a facebook, my district manager is a friend of mine on there, I know he's browsed over my account before and I don't write anything anti-company so they don't give me any grief. He's also trying to recruit me currently to take on finishing a "monster miata 302 swap" for a good friend of his, which means a lot to me. It basically feels like he's giving me a pat on the back and a shot to show how professional I can be working on cars. It's a big trust thing you know?

As far as loosing my job that's not going to happen, I've threatened to quit twice and both times my Manager has begged me not to leave. Even if I did it's a quick lube company, just a stepping stone. They know my goals, and they know I'm only there because it pays my bills and has a flexible schedule for my classes toward my degree. They know I choose to work there and accommodate me.

Last night I was very torn up about it, today (tonight) I'm a bit better, apologies and beer helps that :zbeer:

Ultimately I wont be back to 100% happy and worry free until it's done, but that's just how I get.

The $50 tbird is probably going to get to the sealer stage of paint and get left there for the sake of not being so mad about people's horrible parking lot tendencies and horrible Las Vegas drivers.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts