TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, purchased this 1986 Turbo Coupe April 2nd. It's California car with just around 80k on the clock (30k on the Ford Motor-sport speedometer which replaced the stock 85 mph one at about 50k). So far, I've had to replace the fuel-pump (I suppose that is to be expected since it was original).

Very happy with it so far; Seems to be in excellent mechanical condition, main issues are cosmetic (paint fade, fabric fade, and cracked rubber) due to the California sun. In addition, there is a bit of rust below the rear window trim.

So far, I've installed new headlights and ordered a dash-mat (to cover the cracks and keep new ones from forming).

Current plans are to: Replace the window trim pieces with ones which have been stripped of paint, replace the window dew wipes, install a dynomax-ultraflo muffler (the stock one has an exhaust leak), and replace the stock shift-knob with a solid aluminum one (to prevent wear on the stock one).

In addition, when I replace the rear window trim, I will assess the rust-damage. I may seal it with a spray-able rubber sealant to keep it from getting worse (Rust-oleum peel coat).

Hoping to experiment with "dipping" it in different colors when I can create a suitable booth in the garage.

No plans on performance mods, want to keep it stock and reliable.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Congrats! The car looks great!

The solid alum shift knob will get HOT in the summer! When the car sits with the windows up.

Al

·
̇
3,701 Posts
Nice Tubro Coupe.. :tongue:

After looking the car over some more, have you found any more rust?

Is that a Northern car?

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
17,160 Posts
Nice Tubro Coupe.. :tongue:

After looking the car over some more, have you found any more rust?

Is that a Northern car?

Rayo..
Northern cars rust from the bottom up, western cars rust from the top down. Very little of the exterior steel is galvanized on 80s Fords so even in mild climates rust and corrosion isn't unheard of

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the comments! Car was in California 1986-2001. I bought it from an individual in New Hampshire who owned it since (however, it was garaged and not driven during the winter). The rust below the rear-window trim is all I've seen. Floor pans look amazing. Here's a picture of them (I took this picture when I had a puncture in the return fuel-line). I need to remove the window trim to assess the rust better if anyone knows a good link which illustrates how to remove it properly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Great find of a car! I don't see too many of that generation Birds and Cougars around anymore, even here in California.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Those 83-86 Birds are fast going away. I often wish I had kept that '85 I owned from 1986-2009.

Get a dash cap rather than an ugly pad, a bit more pricey but it looks nearly factory when installed.

+1 on the aluminum shifter, I've still got TSRUH burned into the palm of my hand from the aluminum T handle I used last summer :tongue:
First thing I buy for any of them is a Dash Mat in BLACK ..... which serves to protect oem .... and it disappears in the windshield, no reflections to look back. Used to use a towel folded many years ago in front of driver's side.

And like said, a solid aluminum knob will get HOT. Learned that lesson with a aluminum Hurst T-handle 40 years ago. Lay a Snap On wrench on a fender apron in the sun for 10-20 minutes then pick it up .....

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Get a dash cap rather than an ugly pad, a bit more pricey but it looks nearly factory when installed.

+1 on the aluminum shifter, I've still got TSRUH burned into the palm of my hand from the aluminum T handle I used last summer :tongue:
I had a B&M ratchet shifter in my 74 Trans Am, I feel your pain. After 20 or so years, the scar does fade.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Lovely car. I nearly bought one in the early 2000's before I discovered the later cars. I decided not to as even back then, the floorpan was covered in surface rust. Yours looks pristine, even at 31yrs old!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts