TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see that ignition coils run between $20 and $60. Is there really any difference? I'm tempted to go $40 range (just because that's about what my budget allows), and need to know if it's advisable to replace both at the same time, or is replacing just one OK?

I have reason to suspect that one is bad, as I get an intermittent misfire with this replacement I currently have. (Original pack had the electrical connector broken while we were replacing something else under the hood, so I got a cheap used coil pack, and the problem has persisted since then.)

Thanks a bunch for any guidance you can offer.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It is the consensus of most of our members here, from what ive seen at least, that the motorcraft coil packs are the best ones you can invest in if youre not pushing 400+ horsepower. I have heard nothing but bad things about the MSD coil packs, so I would steer clear of those. There is also the Screamin Demon coil packs from super coupe performance if you are running a souped up build, or want something a little more than stock. When replacing coil packs I advise replacing both at the same time, but it is entirely your choice.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, thanks. My car is stock as a rock, and probably always will be. At this point it's mostly just transportation, though if I ever get the cash, I'd like to spruce it up a tad.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
OK, thanks. My car is stock as a rock, and probably always will be. At this point it's mostly just transportation, though if I ever get the cash, I'd like to spruce it up a tad.
Then stick with Motorcraft. They're really the best. You'll replace the cheaper ones three times for every one Motorcraft.

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
You won't need aftermarket if you add power either, doesn't matter if you make 200, 400, or 600 at the wheels, they won't be the weak link. Anyone who claims otherwise is trying to sell their aftermarket junk.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
You won't need aftermarket if you add power either, doesn't matter if you make 200, 400, or 600 at the wheels, they won't be the weak link. Anyone who claims otherwise is trying to sell their aftermarket junk.
I've always wondered about that. The spark is electrical, it won't "blow out" like a match, and the arc is going to fire the mixture no matter what. Unless you're destroying the spark plugs somehow, and then more electrical energy isn't doing anything anyway.

·
Registered
92 Posts
People are silly so they just go crazy when it comes to things like injectors and carburetors and yes coils.

Most don't understand that bigger isn't always better but it does have its place.
Most of the coils you will find are going to be just fine as they are a simple coil wound epoxy covered steel core. That being said it is all about the coil inside the epoxy and the environment it is to be used in.
for stock applications where there isn't going to be vibrated jarred and banged around BWD, Motorcraft,and Accel are best bang for the buck and last about the same, for performance I go with Accell and MSD because of the internal components being much tougher for the racing environment but if you are going stock then you will see no benefit from a performance coil... NONE...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great answers, fellas, so thanks, I appreciate it a bunch. I had sort of assumed higher end performance coils made no sense for my particular application, but it's always nice to have that notion reaffirmed by folks that know these cars.

·
Super Moderator
16,738 Posts
People are silly so they just go crazy when it comes to things like injectors and carburetors and yes coils.

Most don't understand that bigger isn't always better but it does have its place.
Most of the coils you will find are going to be just fine as they are a simple coil wound epoxy covered steel core. That being said it is all about the coil inside the epoxy and the environment it is to be used in.
for stock applications where there isn't going to be vibrated jarred and banged around BWD, Motorcraft,and Accel are best bang for the buck and last about the same, for performance I go with Accell and MSD because of the internal components being much tougher for the racing environment but if you are going stock then you will see no benefit from a performance coil... NONE...
Aftermarket coils no doubt have their place.... in places where a coil is literally just a coil, plural. The distributerless ignitions found in these cars however are a far more powerful ignition system than what was used back in distributer cars, more than the aftermarket ever dreamed of, MSD and Accel exist from that being the common system, where the factory system really did leave a lot to be desired for high performance application. But the stone stock coils used in the 4.6, 5.4/5.8 Coyote, ect, ect though have proved time and time again to handle BIG power flawlessly and be virtually maintenance free(especially in pack form these cars have), whereas MSD has earned the moniker "My Spark Disappeared". It's pure placebo, and one that actually makes a bulletproof factory setup the unreliable weak link.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input, Matt. As is probably fairly obvious, I'm not real knowledgeable about the car, having just driven it in stock form all these years, and seldom doing any of the real repairs myself. I have a list of several items that prohibit the car from passing inspection, and I hope to have all of those issues dealt with before winter sets in. I'd really like to get this car back on the road.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not starting an argument or to prove anyone wrong but I have had MSD coil packs on my car since 2008 without a single issue. One of my factory coil packs went out and Jegs had a great deal on them at the time so I took a chance with them. I wasn't looking for higher performance or anything because my car is mostly stock too. But when I changed them and put new plugs in, the car was very happy and so was I.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not starting an argument or to prove anyone wrong but I have had MSD coil packs on my car since 2008 without a single issue. One of my factory coil packs went out and Jegs had a great deal on them at the time so I took a chance with them. I wasn't looking for higher performance or anything because my car is mostly stock too. But when I changed them and put new plugs in, the car was very happy and so was I.
Good to know, Drae, and thanks. I've pretty much settled on the idea that I'll go with Motorcraft. Rock Auto has two Motorcraft units, with two different prices. I'm not sure if I'll go with the cheaper of the two or not, but it's certainly appealing to do so. (I'm living on a rather pathetically small Social Security pension, so these decisions are very relevant to my circumstance).

·
Registered
179 Posts
Good to know, Drae, and thanks. I've pretty much settled on the idea that I'll go with Motorcraft. Rock Auto has two Motorcraft units, with two different prices. I'm not sure if I'll go with the cheaper of the two or not, but it's certainly appealing to do so. (I'm living on a rather pathetically small Social Security pension, so these decisions are very relevant to my circumstance).
No problem sir. I definitely would have went OEM if I could have got them for the price I paid for the MSD coils. OEM is always first choice if I can find it or afford it. I was just sharing my experience with it because sometimes conditions and the way you drive your car affects the longevity of aftermarket parts and OEM parts. Even though I drive my car hard 80% of the time lol. For instance 95 transmission is known to be a weak and failing transmission. I have never had issues and I have beat the hell out of through 100° Texas heat. I've accidentally neutral bombed it and reversed it at 15mph reved to about 3500 rpm lol. So I guess its part luck too.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Use a 5% off discount code on RockAuto: 4589808138175115

I personally have the DG530 coil, I only got it because it was cheaper and I think it's a newer version? Not even sure, but it works great.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I've accidentally neutral bombed it and reversed it at 15mph reved to about 3500 rpm lol. So I guess its part luck too.
Neutral drops were fun on the older cars! Every once in a while I would do a "neutral raise" into reverse. Keeps your passengers guessing....

Al

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Use a 5% off discount code on RockAuto: 4589808138175115

I personally have the DG530 coil, I only got it because it was cheaper and I think it's a newer version? Not even sure, but it works great.
Yep, the DG530 is the one I'm considering. I have no idea why one is so more expensive than the other, but less expensive is good for me.

Is the coupon good all the time? I'll probably order them in June sometime.

·
Super Moderator
10,280 Posts
As long as you keep good wires and plugs, you shouldn't have problems with the coil packs.

But bad wires will break down the insulation on the coil pack over time; the plastic kinda degrades in proportion to the voltage required of it.

The higher it goes, the shorter it lasts.

:)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I put brand new plug wires on it about two years ago (I don't recall the brand, but they were good ones), so I'm confident that the plug wires are fine. Good thought though, and I appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts